Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1776 Porter from Radical Brewing  (Read 5876 times)

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
1776 Porter from Radical Brewing
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:32:15 am »
Has anyone brewed this before?

I haven't brewed someone else's recipe in a long time, but this one really has my interest and I have been meaning to brew it for a while now. I am a little concerned about it's ability to convert itself though. Below is the base recipe:

4.5 # English pale malt
4.5 # biscuit
4.5 # brown

I would love to use MO for the pale malt, but have considered replacing it with 6-row. Randy Mosher even points out that the brown malt may not convert itself and the Biscuit malt that I am using, from Castle, has no enzymes. Though 6-row should be able to help convert, I am not confident that MO is capable.

Any thoughts or advice?
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: 1776 Porter from Radical Brewing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:08:00 am »
I'm betting that it would convert just fine.  Just mash for 75 to 90 minutes, or even longer, if you are concerned.  And even if it doesn't convert as well as you might hope... do you think the people in 1776 knew what the word "conversion" even meant?  Nah... they just threw it in there and hoped for the best.  Right??
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:27:53 am »
Many old British recipes use 6 row, in a small percentage.  Maybe use 2 lbs 6 row and the rest of the pale malt as MO.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »
Very true. Since winter will be upon us in NY shortly, I think I will just add a couple of pounds of six row to assist with the conversion. The extra malt will warm it up a little, the residual proteins from the six row will add some mouthfeel, and I'll still get the full flavor from the Maris Otter that I am looking for. We'll see how it works out tomorrow hopefully.
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:39:31 am »
Very true. Since winter will be upon us in NY shortly, I think I will just add a couple of pounds of six row to assist with the conversion. The extra malt will warm it up a little, the residual proteins from the six row will add some mouthfeel, and I'll still get the full flavor from the Maris Otter that I am looking for. We'll see how it works out tomorrow hopefully.

I use 6 row strictly for the taste of it.  These days, 2 row has about as much diastatic power as 6 row.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:03:42 am »
Really?!? Interesting...

I have read that MO has a low diastatic power, is that not the case?

Maybe I'll roll the dice and just see how it works out. Worst case scenario I end up with a small beer, I'll lean on my Imp Stout and Sake (next weeks brew) to keep me warm. As was said on another thread, you sometimes have to test the boundaries to improve and understand capabilities/requirements.

Thanks for the input all.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:58:29 am »
I'm betting that it would convert just fine.  Just mash for 75 to 90 minutes, or even longer, if you are concerned.  And even if it doesn't convert as well as you might hope... do you think the people in 1776 knew what the word "conversion" even meant?  Nah... they just threw it in there and hoped for the best.  Right??

+1

I've had good results using grain bills similiar to yours.  Go with a longer mash for sure...90 minutes at a minimum.  I'm assuming you'll be using a single infusion?
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:01 am »
Really?!? Interesting...

I have read that MO has a low diastatic power, is that not the case?

IIRC, it is lower than domestic pale malt, which is something I didn't take into account when I posted.  But I don't know how much lower or if it has the DP to convert other grain.  My guess would be that it does.  Whose MO are you gonna use?  Maybe we can find some info on it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:27:06 am »
Thanks, Denny!

I got it from Midwest, so it should be from Crisp Maltings. I did check their site, the Brown Malt is also from there, and didn't find much (if any) that was technical. I was able to confirm that the biscuit, from Castle, is devoid of enzymes.

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »
I only had 3.5# of MO after all, so used that and 2# of 6 row. Mash was 90+ minutes (90min initial mash, then drew first runnings and boiled down for another 30 min or so). Got a late start, so kettle is still on the fire, but confident things will work out. Thanks for the help.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 07:04:13 am »
Not all 2-row malts have high diastatic power.
Degrees Lintner
Simpsons Golden Promise = 56
TF Optic = 69
Maris Otter = 50 -60 ish.  Have seen 120 on the web, but that might be WK index.
Briess 2-row brewers malt =140
Rahr 2 Row = 161 (wow)

Briess 6 Row = 160

Form NC malt for MO spec.
http://www.northcountrymalt.com/pages.php?pageid=6
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:46:24 pm »
I just sampled as I racked to secondary and the flavor was amazing, such a rich deep flavor. The SG was still high, 1.030, I am not concerned with a stuck fermentation at this point (I'm in no rush). If there wasn't enough diastatic power, would it result in an increase in unfermentables that would drive up potential terminal gravity. I just want to make sure my thoughts are correct, since the beer tasted great, if a large amount of dextrines (or other unfermentables) may be present, I'll just roll the dice with it. I plan on leaving in secondary for another couple of weeks before I check SG again (I hate meddling too much). Below is final recipe and mash schedule:

4.5# Brown
4.5# Biscuit
3.5# MO
2# 6-row

I did a single infusion mash for about 120 min at 152 degrees. Pitched US-05 Safele and seemed to have a monster yeast slurry at bottom of primary (of which I stirred up a little intentionally when I racked to secondary).

Appreciate any thoughts...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 07:52:26 pm »
Which brown malt did you end up using?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:08:13 pm »
Which brown malt did you end up using?

It was from Crisp