Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sour pH  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
Sour pH
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:29:39 pm »
Doing a sour wheat ale.  Basically a Berliner Weisse, using a wlp630. Doing a primary ferment first, using Safale -05 and then was planning on dumping in the wlp630 for 6 months or so. But, just realized my mash pH was off, at a 4.6 pH.  Should I abandon and just drink what I have when done, and re-brew another for the sour?  Or, might this be alright?  (This will be my first attempt at a sour ale).
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Sour pH
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:39 pm »
At that low of a ph you might have some conversion problems and as a result have a starchy wort. You'll probably need to add brett or something else that can consume starch and plan for that beer to sit for a long time. It may not get too sour with just lacto because it's going to spend its time waiting for simple sugars to become available and then fight with yeast to metabolize them first.

Is it worth it to you to sit on this beer for more than a year and throw more money into it?

The wort is already made. I'd say ferment it out with S-05 and see how it is. It may not be too starchy and actually might be sour enough from the low mash ph that it's worth drinking as is.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:35:23 pm »
But, just realized my mash pH was off, at a 4.6 pH.

Did you add a bunch of acid or acid malt? It seems like it would be hard to end up that low from a wheat ale grist.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Pope of Dope

• Assistant Brewer
  • Gozer is a hoser.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:50:12 pm »
uhhh.  Sorry meant 5.6 pH.  And here all of you see how the mistake was made.  I added lacto and was aiming for a 5.4 and misread some numbers.  So is 5.6 the wrong pH?
Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »
5.6 is in the normal mash pH range.  High end, but still good.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:59:52 pm »
uhhh.  Sorry meant 5.6 pH.  And here all of you see how the mistake was made.  I added lacto and was aiming for a 5.4 and misread some numbers.  So is 5.6 the wrong pH?

A mash pH of 5.6 shouldn't cause a problem.  I think most people would aim a bit lower for a light colored wheat beer, but the yeast should drop it into the acceptable range during primary.

I can't comment on the rest of your plan, since I don't have any experience with pitching lacto post-primary fermentation.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC