Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Much Smoked Malt?  (Read 5123 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: How Much Smoked Malt?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 09:30:52 am »
If you frequent the Homebrewing subreddit (on Reddit, obviously), there's a guy (u/Bretbeermann) who swears by a 100% peat malt lager.

Starting small and working your way up is probably safer.  But on the other hand, you like Laphroig, so maybe you'd like a higher percentage of peat in your beer?  (Laphroig tastes like a salty medicine cabinet to me, or at least in my memory it does.  I prefer Lagavulin, or Ardbeg, or Bruichladdich, or Kilchoman or any other Islay scotch).

my goodness that sounds terrible.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 11:31:28 am »
If you frequent the Homebrewing subreddit (on Reddit, obviously), there's a guy (u/Bretbeermann) who swears by a 100% peat malt lager.

Starting small and working your way up is probably safer.  But on the other hand, you like Laphroig, so maybe you'd like a higher percentage of peat in your beer?  (Laphroig tastes like a salty medicine cabinet to me, or at least in my memory it does.  I prefer Lagavulin, or Ardbeg, or Bruichladdich, or Kilchoman or any other Islay scotch).

Wow.  Everyone  has different sensitivities.  My wife says Sezial is enough for her, i love Schlenkerla  as it is more intense. Maybe this guy needs 100% peated malt to be satisfied with the smoke level?

my goodness that sounds terrible.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 11:45:06 am »
to each their own I suppose.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 12:29:16 pm »

Wow.  Everyone  has different sensitivities.  My wife says Sezial is enough for her, i love Schlenkerla  as it is more intense. Maybe this guy needs 100% peated malt to be satisfied with the smoke level?

It also comes down to what "beer" represents to people. I have often thought about some beers that would be things you could only very slowly sip on. In Korea there were several drinks like this that were something you would either chug to get a supposed effect or have to sip on very, very slowly due to intense bitterness or flavours.

he might even have this 100% peated drink in shot-sized amounts ?

lol, but imho he is just trolling to see if anyone will actually make this likely undrinkable beer