Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dumb (maybe) question about Wits (half-wit question?)  (Read 1603 times)

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
Dumb (maybe) question about Wits (half-wit question?)
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:10:58 am »
I’ve never brewed a wit because, until recently, I’d never enjoyed what I considered a good example of the style.
But now I’m interested.
I know the Belgians use unmalted wheat.  But doesn’t this require a separate cereal mash prior to the main mash process?  And if this is the case, isn’t what you’re left with just malted wheat?  What differences could I expect if I were to just use flaked wheat for that portion of the grist?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Dumb (maybe) question about Wits (half-wit question?)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:46:23 am »
I like a witbier every now and again.

Using raw wheat is best served by getting those starches fully gelled so that the enzymes from the malt can convert them to sugars.  A proper "cereal mash" accomplishes this purpose along with starting some minor starch conversion to help things along.  An alternative, is to simply cook the (milled) raw wheat until it's fully gelled/softened, and add that to your mash.  Another alternative, and what I choose, is to mill your raw wheat to somewhat fine particles and mash it that way without any kind of cereal/cooking step - a step mash is beneficial in this instance to help the raw wheat to better gel and convert at each stage.

Making malted wheat, on the other hand, would require a controlled sprouting of the raw wheat followed by a drying/kilning of the sprouted wheat once the acrospires reached the desired modification level.  Again, fairly easy to do but takes some time, effort, and extra equipment to complete.  Buying malted wheat is easy and cheap.

Flaked wheat is gelled, raw wheat that has then been dried out again.  It's is perfectly suitable for direct mashing without much benefit from step mashing.  It's kind of like "easy raw wheat" and provides basically the same character as raw wheat would.

My opinion is that Raw/Flaked wheat is more neutral in flavor, gives a creamier mouthfeel, and a hazier end product; whereas, malted wheat has a slightly more "malty" flavor (subtle), less creamy and less hazy.

I actually prefer a mix of well-milled raw AND malted wheat in my wits.  No cereal or precooking - just step mashed.

Hope this helps.

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:21:09 pm »
I like a witbier every now and again.

Using raw wheat is best served by getting those starches fully gelled so that the enzymes from the malt can convert them to sugars.  A proper "cereal mash" accomplishes this purpose along with starting some minor starch conversion to help things along.  An alternative, is to simply cook the (milled) raw wheat until it's fully gelled/softened, and add that to your mash.  Another alternative, and what I choose, is to mill your raw wheat to somewhat fine particles and mash it that way without any kind of cereal/cooking step - a step mash is beneficial in this instance to help the raw wheat to better gel and convert at each stage.

Making malted wheat, on the other hand, would require a controlled sprouting of the raw wheat followed by a drying/kilning of the sprouted wheat once the acrospires reached the desired modification level.  Again, fairly easy to do but takes some time, effort, and extra equipment to complete.  Buying malted wheat is easy and cheap.

Flaked wheat is gelled, raw wheat that has then been dried out again.  It's is perfectly suitable for direct mashing without much benefit from step mashing.  It's kind of like "easy raw wheat" and provides basically the same character as raw wheat would.

My opinion is that Raw/Flaked wheat is more neutral in flavor, gives a creamier mouthfeel, and a hazier end product; whereas, malted wheat has a slightly more "malty" flavor (subtle), less creamy and less hazy.

I actually prefer a mix of well-milled raw AND malted wheat in my wits.  No cereal or precooking - just step mashed.

Hope this helps.

It does, thanks.
I frequently use half a pound of flaked wheat in APA/IPA because I feel like it adds a little touch of creaminess that I personally like in those styles.
And I’ve made a couple hefes, with malted wheat of course, but haven’t really been too crazy with the result.  But I’ll try again because it’s such a favorite style.
But this will be my first wit and I know there’s a difference.  I’m leaning toward just using flaked.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »
It does, thanks.
I frequently use half a pound of flaked wheat in APA/IPA because I feel like it adds a little touch of creaminess that I personally like in those styles.
And I’ve made a couple hefes, with malted wheat of course, but haven’t really been too crazy with the result.  But I’ll try again because it’s such a favorite style.
But this will be my first wit and I know there’s a difference.  I’m leaning toward just using flaked.

Flaked is an ideal choice for a wit, IMO.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:48:51 pm »
Just used pregelatinized starch and you will be fine. I mix mine up and use flaked rye.