Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SS Brewtech fermenter mod  (Read 2547 times)

Offline orv2485

• 1st Kit
SS Brewtech fermenter mod
« on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:37 pm »
OK I am an self admitted tinkerer LOL.  Here is my latest project

Bought a SS brewtech 7 gallon bucket.  Instead of buying their temp control system, I'm thinking of running several wraps of copper line around the outside secured with aluminum tape and insulating it very well.  I have an inkbird controller and will install a thermowell.  The controller will circulate either ice water or heated water from a cooler.  Heating will be via a 300-500 watt aquarium heater in the cooler.  I'm thinking all in around $100 bucks, a lot less than the $249 they want for their system. 

Would like to hear your thoughts on whether or not you all think it would work.

Thanks

Tom

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: SS Brewtech fermenter mod
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:03:28 pm »
Could work. My only concern would be mobility and ease of cleaning.

Offline orv2485

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:38:29 pm »
Intend on using the same insulation as I used on my Grainfather, so cleaning shouldn't be an issue.  Hose barbs on the circulation tubes might be a pain, maybe some kind of quick disconnect.  Should get the fermenter next week, I'll post photos

Tom

Offline TeeDubb

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Jose, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:44:31 pm »
I had the same idea last year, but went another route (internal cooling loop).  I've learned that prices of all the bits add up quickly, but it could save a little bit in the end.  I agree that something easy to handle and clean makes for a less stressful brewing experience.  Here was my solution (plus an external chiller - which was a 'steal' on Ebay).

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 03:59:37 pm »
Those coils will have a much greater effect on changing the temperature if they are immersed.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 10:29:48 am »
I had the same idea last year, but went another route (internal cooling loop).  I've learned that prices of all the bits add up quickly, but it could save a little bit in the end.  I agree that something easy to handle and clean makes for a less stressful brewing experience.  Here was my solution (plus an external chiller - which was a 'steal' on Ebay).

Did you make the coils yourself? How much tubing did you use? I'm looking at a similar setup for my SS minis, $250 is a little bit too much for something that'd be a lot of fun to build myself.

Offline orv2485

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:20:21 pm »
I had the same idea last year, but went another route (internal cooling loop).  I've learned that prices of all the bits add up quickly, but it could save a little bit in the end.  I agree that something easy to handle and clean makes for a less stressful brewing experience.  Here was my solution (plus an external chiller - which was a 'steal' on

Nice looking setup, what was you source for the tubing?

Offline orv2485

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 01:50:01 pm »
OK, I bought all the stuff needed and I am into it for right at $100.  Wrapped the fermenter with 25 feet of 1/4" copper and added hose barbs.  Insulated from top to bottom.  Going to play with it this weekend and see if it performs.  Have batch of lager ready to brew if it works out.  Also picked up a countertop water chiller at from work, going to try to add this in if it works.

Tom