Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can Seamer  (Read 1529 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Can Seamer
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:54:15 am »
anybody seen an electric can seamer for say under $1000?  I never really thought about getting one, but recently while at jeffy's LHBS I overheard another patron talking about one in the $500-$700 range.  still expensive, but low enough to pique my interest.

since then I've been searching online, but the lowest I've seen is around $1600.  That's a bit much particularly for something that i'll be primarily using to help give away more of my beer.  I'm a bit crushed (see what I did there).
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Can Seamer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:01:51 am »
I think Drew's is hand powered, but I'm not certain.  IRC, it was around 600-700.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:32:17 am »
I looked into the all american that Drew has, I haven't seen an electric for under $1000. The part that kills me is the cost of the cans. For a 5 gallon batch, you're spending ~$15 on bright (unlabeled) cans. That's around $0.37 per 16 oz. can, and around $0.58/labelled from what I've found.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 11:14:19 am »
I don’t see the price of cans coming down by much unless they begin to geographically spread the manufacture of the cans to reduce the freight and storage costs. Pallets of cans are light but big, this makes them expensive. I’m curious if the big boys bring their cans in on rail to reduce the cost beyond ordering at scale.

Offline blatz

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 11:18:12 am »
I looked into the all american that Drew has, I haven't seen an electric for under $1000. The part that kills me is the cost of the cans. For a 5 gallon batch, you're spending ~$15 on bright (unlabeled) cans. That's around $0.37 per 16 oz. can, and around $0.58/labelled from what I've found.

ouch;  thankfully aside from a high gravity batch here or there which I might be inclined to package, I'd mostly be using it for a few cans/4pk here and there to give to friends and not have to hound them to give me back a growler when they are done.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:19:55 am »
I think Drew's is hand powered, but I'm not certain.  IRC, it was around 600-700.

that's not too bad, just have heard of more occurrences of leaking with a hand crank, but it may be a reasonable trade off.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 11:26:03 am »

that's not too bad, just have heard of more occurrences of leaking with a hand crank, but it may be a reasonable trade off.

So far he seems happy with it.  He keeps claiming he's gonna send me something he's canned, but I'm not holding my breath.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell