Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When do I add a fruit infussion?  (Read 851 times)

Offline sandleaf

• 1st Kit
When do I add a fruit infussion?
« on: April 07, 2018, 07:05:37 am »
I have been enjoying a beer from New Belgium.
Tangerine IPA, CITRADELIC. I'm very impressed by it. It'd fit in my house brew lineup since I like citrusy beers, Citrus Mistress is just another. I'd love to choose one of my current recipes and infuse a orange or tangerine peel. My issue is, at what point of brewing do I add the puree or parts of peel and about how much per gallon?

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Re: When do I add a fruit infussion?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 02:11:52 pm »
Adding citrus is always dependent on the recipe.  I like to take the citrus peel, minus the pith (the white part) and make a tincture with ever clear.  I then take small amounts of the beer and mix it with the tincture to get an idea of how much I want to use.  I keg BTW but you can add the tincture to the bottling bucket if you bottle. 

I have tried adding juice post fermentation, directly to the keg and filled on top.  It works but it need to be kept cold and drunk quickly. 

I have also added the juice at high krausen (when the yeast is most active) but have not really seen the aroma come through. 

Try using mandarina bavaria hops to get some of that character too.

Fermentation at Elevation

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: When do I add a fruit infussion?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:49:58 am »
Most the time when I add anything I add the ingredient at he last 5 minutes of boiling.  I’ve done his with orange peel and coriander for wit beers, berries for multiple styles, salt for gose’s.

I have been reading though about people pitching entire goodbelly probiotics in their beers, but I think they are going for more a sour character than citrus.

For most things, I like to add in the boil, and would add the purée in the last five minutes, just to kill off anything I did not really expect to have in the beer.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."