Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Preserving Smoked Malts  (Read 1352 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Preserving Smoked Malts
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:11:00 pm »
Asking about using peat smoked grains I was informed that the flavor contribution can vary with grain age. Since I wouldn’t want to use a pound in a batch and I have no clue as to how long peat smoked grains may have been sitting at my not quite so local homebrew shop I wondered if buying a pound of grain and them vacuum sealing it would preserve it. Assuming I use 1/4 to 1/3 lb per batch it’s not likely I’d use it all up in a years time as I don’t generally keep any particular beers on hand but jump around. Freezing it?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Preserving Smoked Malts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:30:01 pm »
I agree with your usage and use peated malt from time to time. When I buy a pound I plan 3 batches of stout  to use it up in a couple of months. I think you'd be fine vacuum sealing and freezing it for a couple of years just like many of us do with hops. I doubt seriously that it would lose much of it's characteristic flavor and aroma if you froze it for twice that long.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:25:27 am »
Greetings - I follow Bob’s practice when using smoked malts.  I simply plan a second batch right away.  That said, I also don’t feel freezing in an air tight bag will hurt - vacuum packed would be even better.

On the subject of smoked malts, I read that the best smoked flavor comes from the Mesquite smoked malts as opposed to the peat smoked.  The only smoked malts I have ever used were the Misquite smoked with phenomenal success.  In fact, I make a brown ale with a half pound of brown malt for that roasted flavor and a half pound of smoked malt for the smoky flavor.  I call it: Somthin’s Burn’n. Very popular at a BBQ.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:59:46 am »
I poo on peat smoked malt, but I actually have a few ounces left from the old days.  It's double ziplocked, stored in the basement about 60 F just like all my other grains.  It will keep for a bazillion years like that.  We could vacuum seal it but that's more a pain.  For other smoked malts, could do the same treatments, and it would keep fine.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:54:09 am »
I’ve certainly been contemplating smoking some grains when I smoke meat next time. Typically it’s 90% oak with the rest being either mesquite or hickory or both. Figured it might just make a good BBQ beer and likely to compliment what I’d be eating once it’s done.

Does the smoke flavor subside in the bottle with age?

Excellent name for your BBQ beer!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 05:58:13 am »
My Brown Ale lasted about 3-4 months with no loss of smoked flavor at all.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉