Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch sparge volume and temp trouble  (Read 3893 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Batch sparge volume and temp trouble
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 09:49:27 am »
If your certain popular program is Beersmith I'm here to tell you that you must... must create accurate equipment and mash profiles if you want to get accurate results. Don't trust the profiles that come pre-loaded in the software. Even Brad the developer warns against that. Those are there as a reference or starting point. You must... must take all your measurements, boil off rates, all your losses (actually measured not guessed at) even the material your mash tun is made of and how much it weighs are factors.

It is, and I have. I double checked my equipment and mash profiles when I first started running into issues. Those numbers are correct.

15 pounds of grain at 1.5 water to grain ratio + deadspace + grain absorption from the software gives me 26 quarts of strike water.

Sparge volume is correct.  It's the strike volume that's too high.  You should account for grain absorption but NOT deadspace in the strike calculation.  If you want a ratio of 1.5 qt/lb, I'd strike with just 22.5 qts for your 15 lb grain.  If you strike with 26 qts, you're a gallon high.

The water calculations I used came directly from the software. It has become apparent that I have mistakenly relied way too much on those calculations.

Thanks everyone for your input.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford