Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts on newer hops  (Read 1641 times)

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Thoughts on newer hops
« on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:12 am »
Spring is here, on the calendar anyway, and I am wanting to plant some hops. I live in the Plain States, Eastern Kansas. I have been looking at Great Lakes Hops to buy established plants or crowns. Has anyone had experience with Columbia? It is a sister of Willamette with higher Alpha,    https://www.greatlakeshops.com/store/p90/Columbia.  Also I am looking at Vojvodina, not sure how to pronounce it.  https://www.greatlakeshops.com/store/p58/_Vojvodina_-_Field_Grade.html.    I am looking for English type hops that would grow and produce with the hot summer days of the Plains. I used to live in Missouri and tried to grow Willamette and Golding without much luck. Although I did have luck with Cascade, MT Hood and Sterling , but not a lot of hops out of last two. thoughts ?   
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Thoughts on newer hops
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:53:56 am »
Depending upon how east you are in Kansas I'd expect your growing conditions are not much different from Missouri.

In my limited experience growing in a flat, hot climate I found English hops didn't hold up well at all, but I am not a great gardener. You might have better luck if you can give them some shade in the later part of the day and keep them well hydrated.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
Re: Thoughts on newer hops
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:04:41 am »
Thanks for the reply, the suggestion about shade in the later part of the day is a good idea.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln