Author Topic: Help  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Cuma1980

• 1st Kit
Help
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:47:42 pm »
Hi guys,
I have a big problem with my Magnum ...
What s that? Can u help me?
Thank u so much. I made a picture of a leaf.
https://ibb.co/c57Doy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:49:55 pm by Cuma1980 »

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:26:36 pm »
My first thoughts are either insufficient watering or nitrogen. Do you water or fertilize? How's your soil moisture?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:13:58 pm »
You might want to contact you local Ag extension if your state is growing hops.

My hops benefited from fertilizer, and some yellow was cured with some epsom salt, as we found that could be a sign of low magnesium. It could also be a mildew.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:29:13 pm »
My first thoughts are either insufficient watering or nitrogen. Do you water or fertilize? How's your soil moisture?

My thoughts precisely.  Water and nitrogen fertilizer.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:48 pm »
I had limited success growing hops in OH (not sure where you are) but one of my hills was Magnum.  Looks to me like stress from heat/water -- either too much or too little of either.  Some vatieties (e.g. Sterling) show this appearance all summer once the heat is on, but not Magnum.   Whatever extreme your weather has been supplying,  (attempt to) counter it.  I don't think it's a mildew.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:01:47 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Cuma1980

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:25:33 am »
I had limited success growing hops in OH (not sure where you are) but one of my hills was Magnum.  Looks to me like stress from heat/water -- either too much or too little of either.  Some vatieties (e.g. Sterling) show this appearance all summer once the heat is on, but not Magnum.   Whatever extreme your weather has been supplying,  (attempt to) counter it.  I don't think it's a mildew.

Thank u so much to everyone!!! I bought just 30 plants of hops ( magnum and chinook), just to try the growing. I live near Florence in the middle of Italy. 20 days ago we had 30 degrees in few days... Now we are at 15... The weather here is really crazy and my little plants are searching to take roots in my clay ground. I gave them just manure of my horses...it s possible they need some integration... The chinook is well..but some plants of magnum are like in the picture...
Thank u to everyone for the answer...

Offline Fuzz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 05:32:17 pm »
If your soil is very clay it could be the problem. Hops like lots of water but in well draining soil. What year were they planted? First year plants will need to put all their effort into growing roots.