Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High Gravity Sour, no carbonation  (Read 1181 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
High Gravity Sour, no carbonation
« on: March 04, 2020, 06:54:32 pm »
I bottled up a high gravity sour beer I brewed in October 2018 at the end of January and upon opening the first bottle I was frustrated to find essentially zero carbonation.  The beer was fermented with a belgian ale yeast initially then dosed with a variety of souring microbes (home culture that has successfully been used on multiple other batches).  Late in the process I racked the beer onto about a pound of dried mission figs that had been soaked in port wine, let that rest for about 4 months then racked off the fruit.  The original gravity was near 1.095.  Recipe taken from Tonsmeire's book though I missed the gravity.  I primed the beer with Premiere Blanc champagne yeast and corn sugar.  It was allowed to sit at about 65F for a month or so and then nothing....stuff tasted pretty good going into the bottle.

What possibly could have gone wrong?  and more importantly what can be done about it now?  Can I simply redose the bottles with some more rehydrated champagne yeast and wait another month?  Is oxidation going to be an issue opening the bottles again?

I've got 22 flip top 1L bottles of good tasting but flat sour beer.  PLease help!!

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: High Gravity Sour, no carbonation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 09:32:17 pm »
High gravity beers often take longer to carbonate IMO. Also, 65 is on the cool side. Try warming them up to about 70 for a couple of weeks.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV