Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My simple closed transfer method  (Read 3038 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
My simple closed transfer method
« on: March 03, 2020, 03:08:53 am »
Thought I'd share my "closed transfer" technique. I am using a large opening plastic carboy (like Northern Brewer's "Big Mouth Bubbler") with a spigot on the bottom. To transfer I simply attach a piece of sanitized tubing on a QDC that attaches to the "out" post on a carboy. Then I'll attach a stainless QDC ( like this https://www.morebeer.com/…/carbonation-line-cleaning-ball-l…) to the gas line with some tubbing that fits snuggly into the bung. After purging the keg with Co2 I'll leave the keg slightly pressurized. Once the QDC is attached to the spigot (placed in "closed") I'll attach the QDC to the "Out" post on the slightly pressurized keg. The Co2 in the keg then purges the line of o2 (there is always a tiny hole on all the homebrew type spigots that allows the gas to release while the spigot in in "closed" position. All of them have this BtW.) Then, once the keg is depressurized I simply open the spigot and put about 2 psi of pressure on the carboy. The Co2 lightly pushes the beer and displaces the volume of beer with Co2 rather than air.

You'll note the white QDC on the "gas in" I use to vent the keg while transferring.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:13:49 am by majorvices »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: My simple closed transfer method
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:25:39 am »
Carboy, carboy cap, hose on the in disconnect goes into a bucket of water.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 05:29:57 am »
Yep, I've done that. i prefer the method with spigot. Just easier for me.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 05:31:26 am »
Yep, I've done that. i prefer the method with spigot. Just easier for me.

If I had one with a spigot, I would do that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 05:42:18 am »
I use mostly plastic buckets for fermentation, some have spigots some don’t. I think I could use the same setup as Keith by putting the incoming co2 line where the airlock goes in the lid, maybe use a 3 piece airlock without the cap and inside piece for a tight fit. For buckets with no spigot I could add a second hole and do a set up similar to Jeff. Any problems with this?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 05:45:26 am »
I use mostly plastic buckets for fermentation, some have spigots some don’t. I think I could use the same setup as Keith by putting the incoming co2 line where the airlock goes in the lid, maybe use a 3 piece airlock without the cap and inside piece for a tight fit. For buckets with no spigot I could add a second hole and do a set up similar to Jeff. Any problems with this?

That's what I would do! I used to be paranoid about the spigot set up being unsanitary but i just wrap it with clear plastic wrap and a rubber band. They disassemble easily enough for cleaning and sanitizing. I also have no glass carboys left, they all got broken over the last 10 years at the brewery lol

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12:07 am »
I have plenty of glass carboys, like 30 or 40. We make a lot of mead and need them for secondary and bulk ageing but I hate carboys for fermenting.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:40:21 am »
I use am Anvil bucket with a spigot that I spray sanitizer in before transfer. I really like the spigot and use it when not dryhopping. My transfer method is, spigot to beer out line of purged keg and gas out line to drilled bung on bucket. I usually bleed the air out of the beer line by cracking the nut on the QD over a empty bucket. But I like majorvices idea of using keg pressure to purge line. I think I'll borrow that idea. If I have trouble getting transfer started I pull the PRV slightly to get it going. Also like the carbonator cap on the QD idea. I used my carbonator cap on a gas QD to purge bottles when filling from keg recently.  Just put a short piece of tubing on the barb and used the valve on the co2 manifold. I thought about putting a picnic tap on the end of co2 tubing to make it easier than using the manifold valve.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 06:43:55 am »

I do this as well for my IPA's since I don't dry hop in the SS fermenter to avoid plugging thee racking arm..  Just remember no more that 2 PSI pressure on the carboy.  Safety first to prevent injury.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 07:26:46 am »

I do the same but with a plastic carboy.  If/when liquid comes out the gas port, I stop and will pull an additional cup back out of the keg for a gravity sample.  It probably doesn't matter in general but I use a spunding valve now and need to keep the liquid out of it.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 08:01:17 am »

I do this as well for my IPA's since I don't dry hop in the SS fermenter to avoid plugging thee racking arm..  Just remember no more that 2 PSI pressure on the carboy.  Safety first to prevent injury.

Exactly. Safety first. Dont clamp that carboy cap, it is your pressure safety valve.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 04:21:49 pm »
I have been doing this for awhile too.  I use plastic fermenters with spigots.  I use silicone tubing running from the airlock on the fermenter to a liquid QD running to the OUT post on the keg and then a gas QD running out of the IN post and a line running into sanitizer.   This way the natural CO2 from fermentation purges the keg of O2.  When it's time to transfer I swap the line from airlock to spigot and from sanitizer to airlock so it's closed during transfer.  CO2 from the keg should (should!) replace the beer as the transfer progresses. 

I have some pictures, etc,   HERE
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Jimandi Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:54 pm »
We use the spigot (Big Mouth Bubbler) or racking cane (glass carboy) with a layer of CO2 on top to "out" black side of the keg. If transferring from keg to keg, then it's black to black under CO2 pressure. Clean, relatively O2 free and very easy.

Jim