Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxi-Clean for scrubbing versus PBW  (Read 3762 times)

Offline sarge99

• 1st Kit
Oxi-Clean for scrubbing versus PBW
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:16:32 pm »
Just throwing this out there, I have read that people replace PBW with oxi clean for scrubbing and general cleaning of the kegs, what methods do you all use and will oxi clean damage  aluminium?   

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oxi-Clean for scrubbing versus PBW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:40:56 pm »
Just throwing this out there, I have read that people replace PBW with oxi clean for scrubbing and general cleaning of the kegs, what methods do you all use and will oxi clean damage  aluminium?

I don't know of any oxygen based cleaner that is safe for aluminum....not oxiclean, not PBW, not Craftmeister.  SS and plastic are fine with all of them.  I used oxiclean for years and found it worked well.  PBW worked better for me.  Craftmeister oxygen brewery wash works better than either of those.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:33:47 pm »
OxiClean is mostly sodium carbonate (washing soda) and 30% sodium percarbonate (which releases oxygen to brighten your laundry as a non-chlorine bleach) and less than 1% sodium metasiliscate.   PBW and other alkaline cleaners made specifically for brewing contain 30% or more metasiliscate,  making them far more effective at removing organic material.  But more important, the brewery products, unlike the laundry products,  contain chelating agents, without which you will eventually get a buildup of very hard and hard to remove mineral deposits.  So eventually you will need lots of effort and acid cleaners.  If cost is the issue, do what I prefer:  use PBW,  just use less of it, nice and hot, and let it soak longer.  (Cleaning effectiveness is dependent on a triangle of concentration, temperature and time.) The only time I use PBW at full strength is for cleaning draught lines, where it, unlike OxiClean,  is a fine substitute for BLC and the like.

For my aluminum kettles, I follow the manufacturer's recommendation and just use dish liquid and elbow grease.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 07:27:39 pm »
Bar Keepers Friend Cookware Cleanser & Polish does a great job cleaning up all kinds of cookware including aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:30 pm »
Bar Keepers Friend Cookware Cleanser & Polish does a great job cleaning up all kinds of cookware including aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use BKF occasionally on the aluminum.   It does contain -- apparently -- some chlorine, which is not good with aluminum, needs a lot of rinsing, and is abrasive, so be judicious with it.  But sometimes you gotta....
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:24 am »
I believe the cookware cleaner has a slightly different formula than the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 08:42:43 am »
OxiClean is mostly sodium carbonate (washing soda) and 30% sodium percarbonate (which releases oxygen to brighten your laundry as a non-chlorine bleach) and less than 1% sodium metasiliscate.   PBW and other alkaline cleaners made specifically for brewing contain 30% or more metasiliscate,  making them far more effective at removing organic material.  But more important, the brewery products, unlike the laundry products,  contain chelating agents, without which you will eventually get a buildup of very hard and hard to remove mineral deposits.  So eventually you will need lots of effort and acid cleaners.  If cost is the issue, do what I prefer:  use PBW,  just use less of it, nice and hot, and let it soak longer.  (Cleaning effectiveness is dependent on a triangle of concentration, temperature and time.) The only time I use PBW at full strength is for cleaning draught lines, where it, unlike OxiClean,  is a fine substitute for BLC and the like.

For my aluminum kettles, I follow the manufacturer's recommendation and just use dish liquid and elbow grease.

Although PBW is marketed to the brewing industry, my understanding is that the cleaner in it comes from the laundry industry.  Thta's why it's harder to dissolve and rinse than some other brewery specific cleaners.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:12:13 am »

Although PBW is marketed to the brewing industry, my understanding is that the cleaner in it comes from the laundry industry.  Thta's why it's harder to dissolve and rinse than some other brewery specific cleaners.

Strangely, I tried the Craftmeister Alkaline Brewery Wash and had the opposite experience of most people.   For me, PBW dissolves and rinses much easier.  Maybe it depends on your water, but the chelators in the products should make that a wash (sorry.)  :) Wonder if anyone else has this experience.  Anyway I have to get Craftmeister online, so with PBW there's at least something I still buy from LHBS.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:22:25 pm »

Strangely, I tried the Craftmeister Alkaline Brewery Wash and had the opposite experience of most people.   For me, PBW dissolves and rinses much easier.  Maybe it depends on your water, but the chelators in the products should make that a wash (sorry.)  :) Wonder if anyone else has this experience.  Anyway I have to get Craftmeister online, so with PBW there's at least something I still buy from LHBS.
OK, where's a good place to get Craftmeister online?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 05:24:42 am »
^^^^^
Morebeer
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline jynokon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 05:52:23 am »

Like this. Some useful information. Although, I like healthy ceramic cookware for its some advantages.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:26:09 pm by jynokon »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 06:18:07 am »
The Grainfather burns wort right over it’s element. After my last brew, I tried Craftmeister Alkaline Brewery Wash cold. With elbow grease I got 25% of the bracket area clean. After heating to 140F and running the pump to clean up other things I dumped the brewery wash. The blackened area was still there but visually bloated and loosened. It took one simple wipe to clean that area. My Grainfather looked brand new after.