Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BS Remover  (Read 3911 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
BS Remover
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:19:22 pm »
Yesterday, after I racked a Blonde Ale from fermenter to keg, I noticed some scale-like build up while cleaning the fermenter. I believe this is the beginnings of beer stone so I’m looking at BS Remover. I’ve read #5 acid wash is good at making beer stone easy to remove, but I can’t find it for sale. I believe BS Remover is a newer-ish product from the same company and am curious if others have had any experience with this product.

Offline Robert

Re: BS Remover
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:33:09 pm »
BS Remover is available to homebrewers, #5 AFAIK is not. Might be the same thing by another name?  I use BS Remover (BTW best product name ever, right?) Works a charm.  Softens and loosens beerstone (makes it sludgy,) but on some deposits you may need a little brushing to dislodge the residue.  I also contacted Five  Star, and they confirmed to me that BS Remover is suitable for your quarterly acid cleaning of draught lines.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:57:36 am »
Your local hardware store likely has Bar Keeper's Friend, which should also work on beer stone.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:06 am »
Local feed or agricultural supply store would have acid wash.  I use it to clean milk stone from milking machine lines.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:06:59 pm »
Your local hardware store likely has Bar Keeper's Friend, which should also work on beer stone.

Just tried BKF on the false bottom of my LT, took the beerstone right off.  I'll still rely on BS Remover for kegs and parts and fittings you just can't get into to scrub. It requires minimal mechanical action, just to dislodge the goo and then rinse it away.  BKF dirt cheap (and already in the house) solution for big, exposed surfaces.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline IPAnic

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:24:23 pm »
Whew! I saw my life flash before my eyes when I read "BS Remover" in the "topic". I thought my schtick was over.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 04:20:00 pm »
Yeah...I thought they were talking about Denny's job on here...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:48:57 pm »
Yeah...I thought they were talking about Denny's job on here...

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 01:07:53 pm »
Local feed or agricultural supply store would have acid wash.  I use it to clean milk stone from milking machine lines.
That's awesome, thanks! I have always wanted to pick up my homebrew supplies from Fleet Farm. Now if I can get them to stock Wyermann malt, they can put right next to the chicken feed.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 05:23:35 am »
I'll be honest, after a long two weeks straight at work, I was hoping this was instructions for a BS*** remover!! Hopefully a few homebrews when I get home are enough to erase it from my memory!!!

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 05:48:06 pm »
Just looked up the stuff at Tractor Supply.  40% phosphoric acid, no nitric acid (which is not ideally compatible with some parts in my draught system, but is in Five Star products) and dirt cheap compared to BS Remover.  Thanks for the tip.  Will grab a gallon next time I get by there.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

BS Remover
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 02:27:22 pm »
I looked online at Tractor Supply for ‘acid wash’ but came up with no results. So, until I can find it I decided to try a small qty of the BS Remover. It came in last night. I must say, it works like a champ. I mixed it at one once per gallon and let it sit for about 30 minutes.  I poured the mixture into a container to save for later and wiped the inside of the fermenter where the scale was. Most of the scale simply wiped out with a paper towel. Some more stubborn areas took a tiny bit of scrubbing with a cooktop cleaning pad so it wouldn’t scratch. Bottom line: all cleaned, rinsed, dry, and ready to be sanitized. Good as new. If I can find a cheaper solution (like milk stone cleaner from a farm store) I’ll gladly pay less if it works as effortlessly as this does. I have Bar Keeper’s Friend and tried it on a spot but not willing to put that much elbow grease into the project. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:36:33 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:35:01 pm »
I looked online at Tractor Supply for ‘acid wash’ but came up with no results.

Picked some up today

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dairyland-sterosol-milkstone-remover-acid-rinse?cm_vc=-10005
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:41:31 pm »

Picked some up today

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dairyland-sterosol-milkstone-remover-acid-rinse?cm_vc=-10005

Cool. Now I know what I’m looking for. It isn’t avail in my store but it is avail 20 mi away. I might see if I can get in store delivery.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »

Picked some up today

Cool. Now I know what I’m looking for. It isn’t avail in my store but it is avail 20 mi away. I might see if I can get in store delivery.

Same here, I had to go a couple towns away to where they have dairy farms around, not stocked in your average suburban TS.  But I was going that way anyway.  Thanks to oginme for saving us big bucks!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio