Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mexican'ish' lager  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: mexican'ish' lager
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 03:57:15 pm »
I use 10% corn, 10% rice. Keeps it light and dry with just a touch of corniness.

I had previously considered that as well but forgot. That is an option as well. Thanks for the idea!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 11:51:09 am »
Well I pretty much went with the original recipe so that I can know what it is like to have that much corn in a light lager. I have enjoyed corn in my beers before but have never used it at this amount or in a lighter beer.

I was a bit low on my OG so hoping the agave will help the yeast to attenuate well.

Still undecided on how/if I will incorporate the lime. I am planning to save the yeast so thinking of just pureeing one whole lime and adding it at kegging. I feel that will give a hint of lime without being overpowering. Yes I understand the sentiment of just adding it to the glass if you really want it...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 12:21:52 pm »
Still undecided on how/if I will incorporate the lime. I am planning to save the yeast so thinking of just pureeing one whole lime and adding it at kegging. I feel that will give a hint of lime without being overpowering. Yes I understand the sentiment of just adding it to the glass if you really want it...

If you're going to add it to the keg, why not experiment by adding lime to commercial examples in the glass?

I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm kinda serious. To one beer add complete pureed lime, to another the zest of a lime, to another just juice. All done like how folks add coffee, find the percentage that works and use that one the final product.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.