Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: my first all grain recipe from scratch  (Read 2010 times)

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
my first all grain recipe from scratch
« on: April 11, 2018, 04:13:20 pm »
I'm calling it "beer !? for breakfast ?!"

i bought 2 lb of honey malt

1 pound flaked wheat

glacier hops 1 ounce

and bavarien wheat yeast

im wondering if I should put my malt and my flaked wheat in my mash tun

or just do the honey malt in the mash tun and then use a brewing sock to add the flaked wheat?

ps: im doing a 1 gallon batch for now just to learn. i might try both idk
brew beer or die trying

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: my first all grain recipe from scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 04:52:54 pm »
You need a base malt to provide the enzymes to convert your honey malt and flaked wheat.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:41:31 pm »
1st post and an ‘interesting’ recipe that, if it converts at about 30°L, at 80% mash efficiency will get about a 10% ABV at 75 IBU in a gallon. This is a joke, drive by, or some other interesting or very uninformed anomaly.

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:06:40 pm »
You need a base malt to provide the enzymes to convert your honey malt and flaked wheat.

thanks robert

im thinking a mild ale malt or a wheat malt

i guess the honey malt isnt a base malt?

i didnt know there was a difference, its my second batch, the last one i did was an extract kit, so i wanted to try my hand at all grain, but ive never malted barley so i decided on baby steps lol
brew beer or die trying

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 08:36:18 pm »

thanks robert

i didnt know there was a difference, its my second batch, the last one i did was an extract kit, so i wanted to try my hand at all grain, but ive never malted barley so i decided on baby steps lol
Honey malt (aka brumalt or melanoidin malt) is made by a process similar to caramel malt and contains no enzymes (diastatic power 0.0° Lintner.)  But unlike drum-produced caramel/crystal malts it is not completely vitrified and does retain some starch, so cannot just be steeped either. It must be mashed with an enzymatic malt, same as the flaked wheat.   It should be limited to no more than 20% of the grain bill.  You could also include up to 30% flaked wheat, and an American 2 row brewers malt at 50% could, in theory,  still convert the mash.  Mild ale and wheat malts are only able to convert themselves, they are not intended to convert adjuncts.  Maybe you should gain some more practical understanding of the principles of all grain brewing before jumping into recipe creation.  People around here will be glad to help you along the way.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 08:50:04 pm »

thanks robert

Honey malt (aka brumalt or melanoidin malt) is made by a process similar to caramel malt and contains no enzymes (diastatic power 0.0° Lintner.)  But unlike drum-produced caramel/crystal malts it is not completely vitrified and does retain some starch, so cannot just be steeped either. It must be mashed with an enzymatic malt, same as the flaked wheat.   It should be limited to no more than 20% of the grain bill.  You could also include up to 30% flaked wheat, and an American 2 row brewers malt at 50% could, in theory,  still convert the mash.  Mild ale and wheat malts are only able to convert themselves, they are not intended to convert adjuncts.  Maybe you should gain some more practical understanding of the principles of all grain brewing before jumping into recipe creation.  People around here will be glad to help you along the way.

wow really, thanks man you taught me a lot
brew beer or die trying

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:59 am »

thanks robert

Good advice. The part on wheat malt only being able to convert itself is not what I remember.

Briess lists their wheat malts as 160 and 180 Lintner, which is pretty “hot” on enzymes, right in 6 row territory.
Weyermann wheat malt is listed at 300 WK, which is about 90 Lintner, close to Pilsner malt, so it could convert some adjuncts.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Wheat.htm
https://www.northernbrewer.com/weyermann-pale-wheat-malt

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:04:48 am »
Thanks, Jeff, for catching me on wheat malt.  Still would not want to start all grain brewing there though.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:21:35 am »
Thanks, Jeff, for catching me on wheat malt.  Still would not want to start all grain brewing there though.
Yeah, it can be a little sticky.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ninjaslave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 11:01:39 am »
OP here

i might try a 6 row base malt pale, im still working out my measurements

1 galon

-american pale 6 row

-honey malt (melanoidin)

-flaked wheat

probably boil the wheat before i add it to my mash

will the 6 row be enough to convert my adjunct being the flaked wheat?

will i have to get lager yeast? or will I have enough simple sugars to convert into alcohol?

really hope i can ale it

thanks guys, im just jumping right into it, im sure it will be a brewing massacre but i will learn a lot from it i hope

brew beer or die trying

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:54 am »
OP here

i might try a 6 row base malt pale, im still working out my measurements

1 galon

-american pale 6 row

-honey malt (melanoidin)

-flaked wheat

probably boil the wheat before i add it to my mash

will the 6 row be enough to convert my adjunct being the flaked wheat?

will i have to get lager yeast? or will I have enough simple sugars to convert into alcohol?

really hope i can ale it

thanks guys, im just jumping right into it, im sure it will be a brewing massacre but i will learn a lot from it i hope

Yes, the 6 row will convert it, but so would 2 row.  It's a myth that 6 row has substantially higher DP.

No, you won't need lager yeast.

Don't boil the wheat.  Why would you?  Flaked wheat is already gelatinized so all you gain by boiling it is a gloopy mess.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell