Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Australian Sparkling  (Read 3320 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Australian Sparkling
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:38:54 am »
Does anyone have experience either drinking this style, making the style or nay input to this style?
I don’t think I am going to be able to get any Australian malts but my local shop does have some Australian hops right now.

I was thinking, Golden promise and vienna with safale 04.

Any tips?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
Re: Australian Sparkling
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:39 am »
Check out the Craft Beer & Brewing website.  Josh Weikert did an article a couple of months ago on this style.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 12:04:00 pm »
Zymurgy also had an article.  I was considering make this beer using the dregs of the original, but I tasted the original and decided not to clone at all.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:13:54 pm »
I've brewed a couple iterations.

I think the last one was German Pils and a touch of Carahell; all Pride of Ringwood hops (which I really like); and WY 1275.

White Labs has an Australian ale yeast, but it's a sporadic release, and I don't think it's out now.  You can culture Cooper's yeast from a bottle if you can find one (I haven't seen any around here in a long time, unfortunately).

I bet there's some good info in Bronzed Brews.  I've been meaning to order a copy for a while.   http://prstemp.wixsite.com/tritun-books

I asked Peter for some tips at last year's HBC, but it was pretty late in the evening, and I can't remember much of what he told me (helpful, right?).

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline AvAnAle

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 04:29:58 pm »
The only real sparkling in Australia is coopers. Guys here culture the yeast from bottles of coopers, I'm just about to run an original recipe can't remember the bill off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 05:25:35 pm »
Went with 4#s pils 4#s golden promise. 1oz pride of ring wood at 25 min. 1oz flame out (10aa). Using Nottingham yeast.
My thoughts are not to temp control the beer. My house is in the 60s-73 right now with all the doors open.
Too warm for fermentation? I will likely add some heat for a diaceytl rest after a week or so.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 06:55:38 pm »
I made a Coopers clone one time with Coopers ale yeast and no temp control.  Tasted like tobacco and pineapple.  Ick.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 07:29:55 pm »
I made a Coopers clone one time with Coopers ale yeast and no temp control.  Tasted like tobacco and pineapple.  Ick.
Why do you think that was? The hops? I have heard the pride of ringwood can give almost an iron flavor. Did you use dregs?  I don’t think there is a store that would even have coopers where I live.

I used what I could get. The style said showcase of Australian malt, but, good luck getting some of that for one batch.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 07:36:02 pm »
Yeast and lack of temp control, methinks.  But not sure.  They used to sell Coopers yeast, that's what I used.  I haven't looked for it on purpose for years but not sure if they still sell it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »
Yeast and lack of temp control, methinks.  But not sure.  They used to sell Coopers yeast, that's what I used.  I haven't looked for it on purpose for years but not sure if they still sell it.

When I was researching the style I found some diy stuff.  Like this

https://www.homebrewing.org/Coopers-15-gram-Yeast_p_5247.html

I don’t really trust that though. Right now I am in a bucket with water at 65* which should be fine for Nottingham. There is a shirt over the carboy and I’ll pour some more water on the batch before I crash out.

I’m more interested in the hop than anything else. That iron quality intrigues me.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 06:13:54 am »
I am preparing to brew an Australian Sparkling for a club competition.
I've never tasted one.
I'm thinking

8 lbs pilsner
12 oz flaked wheat
8 oz medium crystal
1 oz Pride of Ringwood @ 60 min.
Windsor Yeast.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 02:01:49 am »
I am preparing to brew an Australian Sparkling for a club competition.
I've never tasted one.
I'm thinking

8 lbs pilsner
12 oz flaked wheat
8 oz medium crystal
1 oz Pride of Ringwood @ 60 min.
Windsor Yeast.

I think you will get too much bitterness from the 60minute addition. That’s why I went with the schedule I came up with after calculating bitterness.  I thought of doing some wheat in my grain build but my friend said I might get characters I do not want in the beer, I wanted to add it for head retention, but it would also impact mouthfeel.

I went with Nottingham yeast because the beer is supposed to be dry FG 1.004-1.006. I wanted high attenuation.
Mine will likely be too light in color but appearance is only 3 points out of 50.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 04:17:31 pm »
Personally, I think you need to add a little table sugar to replicate sparkling ale.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 04:43:52 pm »
I brewed one on Saturday.

It was roughly 96% Fawcett Maris Otter and 4% Weyermann Carahell, plus 1 oz. of acid malt.

Hops were all Pride of Ringwood (10% AA): .75 oz at 60 minutes, 1 oz. at 10, and 1 oz. at 5.

Wyeast 1275

OG was 1.054, which puts it a little high per the BJCP guidelines, but with a style where there are only 2 commercial examples, I feel like you have some leeway.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 02:25:40 pm »
I brewed one on Saturday.

It was roughly 96% Fawcett Maris Otter and 4% Weyermann Carahell, plus 1 oz. of acid malt.

Hops were all Pride of Ringwood (10% AA): .75 oz at 60 minutes, 1 oz. at 10, and 1 oz. at 5.

Wyeast 1275

OG was 1.054, which puts it a little high per the BJCP guidelines, but with a style where there are only 2 commercial examples, I feel like you have some leeway.

To me the .75 oz of pride of ringwood wood is too much bitterness. The beer should be 20-35. My calculator puts that one hop addition at 38ibu.

I’ll find out tonight how well I do. Based on BJCPStyles.

I know mine is too light in color but it taste great and has good carb. But will lose some carb and is supposed to be very highly carbed.

The hops came out and the aroma flavor of them is what I was going for.