Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chevallier parti gyle, barley wine/bitter, your thoughts?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline vpsihop1

• 1st Kit
Chevallier parti gyle, barley wine/bitter, your thoughts?
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:27:31 am »
Thinking about a parti gyle barley wine / bitter.

1.100 OG 100% chevallier 100+ IBUs of EKG and fuggles
1.040 OG 100% chevallier second runnings 25 IBUs

Big starter of 1028 London, O2 for 2 minutes, start ferment at 62f and ramp to 68F over 10 days.

Mash low, I've heard chevallier doesn't ferment out as well as other malts. Hoping the barley wine ferments out to 1.020-25

Anyone do anything like this with chevallier? I'm hearing good things about the malt, what flavor profile is everyone getting?

Bitter goes in the keg after a couple weeks, Barley Wine goes into some 22s, and sample it a month in for carbonation, then into the basement to age.

Any problems I might run into? Issues with recipe?

Thanks! Been away awhile, but 6 beers done in the past month, back with a vengeance!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Chevallier parti gyle, barley wine/bitter, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:07:59 pm »
I have used Crisp Chevalier with ordinary bitters and found it to be undermodified, so give it a longer, lower mash to ensure complete conversion.  Otherwise, it is a biscuity Maris Otter that tastes great in English styles.  I like it and plan to do a barley wine coming up.  Keep us posted on your progress and don’t burn out on brewing this time around - sounds like you are enjoying the comeback!
Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:09:14 pm »
Where are you getting the chevalier malt?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »
By luck.  They supposedly only made 5-6 tons of it last year.  My LHBS got the only sack that it’s malt distributor had.  He knew it was something I would want....comes in a burlap sack (plastic lined).  Kinda cool that it is supposed to be old school from the 1800’s.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline vpsihop1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:46:35 am »
LHBS said a week or 2, never really got burned out, just doing different things, missed brewing though