Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Here's a list of cool things to do while you’re in Portland for HomebrewCon this summer.  Which one sounds most fun to you?

Have a beer at one of the many great taphouses in town, like Beermongers, Belmont Station, Imperial.
Check out the Skidmore Fountain where Henry Weinhard offered to pump beer into the fountain at its dedication in 1888.
Visit the Widmer Taproom and sample small batch beers then take a tour of the brewery.
Jump on the Brewvana beer bus for a tour of local breweries.
Go by bike and take a PDX Pedicab Beer Tour.
Find out how the latest yeast strains are cultured on a tour of the lab @ Imperial Yeast.

Author Topic: [Sponsored] Top Beer Things to Do When In Portland For Homebrew Con  (Read 4908 times)

Offline FH Steinbart

• 1st Kit
    • FH Steinbart Co.
As America’s oldest homebrew store, FH Steinbart has been helping people brew their best for one hundred years. And we’re excited that thousands of homebrewers will visit our hometown of Portland for Homebrew Con this summer !!! Stop by and see us @ www.fhsteinbart.com
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:33:00 am by duncan »
FH Steinbart is celebrating 100 years in the homebrew community. We have everything you need to create your next batch. If you can dream it, we can help you make it. www.fhsteinbart.com

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
Re: Top Beer Things to Do When In Portland For Homebrew Con
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 01:08:44 pm »
Hrmm....  Nice ad.  Some of your malts though...

"Mechanically floor malted"... ROFL... What the hell kind of BS marketing is that?  I literally use my hands when making malt at home.  Is that "hand malted"?  Yup superior to any mechanical malting.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 01:25:14 pm »
Hrmm....  Nice ad.  Some of your malts though...

"Mechanically floor malted"... ROFL... What the hell kind of BS marketing is that?  I literally use my hands when making malt at home.  Is that "hand malted"?  Yup superior to any mechanical malting.

You may want to educate yourself a bit....https://www.meccagrade.com/
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 01:38:08 pm »
Educate concerning? False marketing material... I'm 100% educated on that.

Point me to a taste test that discerns hand floor malted vs mechanical floor malted vs machine malted.  Maybe throw in a new term "Shovel Floor Malted".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:50:33 pm by BitterItDown »

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:46:48 pm »
If you get a chance, visit the Raccoon Lodge on the Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy. and/or Cascade Brewing Barrel House on Belmont St. Some really innovative beers for sure.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 02:33:22 pm »
I might just have to take you up on the offer to visit.

I have been looking at the Mecca Grade malts and wishing I could get some. Why do I say wishing? Well, 5 pounds of the Lamonta pale malt would cost $11.75. Not bad. But shipping to Florida would cost an additional $37.90!

Maybe I'll visit and buy a couple of pounds of the pale, some wheat, and some opal 44. Sure would be less expensive to buy them while in Portland and carry back home in my baggage.What I save in shipping goes for more malt.

Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »

I have been looking at the Mecca Grade malts and wishing I could get some. Why do I say wishing? Well, 5 pounds of the Lamonta pale malt would cost $11.75. Not bad. But shipping to Florida would cost an additional $37.90!

Maybe I'll visit and buy a couple of pounds of the pale, some wheat, and some opal 44. Sure would be less expensive to buy them while in Portland and carry back home in my baggage.What I save in shipping goes for more malt.

It's not an inexpensive malt, even without shipping, and they recognize that. 

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 03:10:55 pm »

Been thinking I might just bite the bullet and order a bag.  That way the shipping-to-malt ratio would be optimized.  But then I'm worried I'll never want other malts again, and I'm screwed.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 04:22:43 pm »

I agree Denny. I've been looking forward to trying these malts but can't quite pull the trigger on buying some when the cost of shipping is (what?) 3-4 times the cost of the malt. Been looking forward to trying Mecca Grade since you and Drew talked about it on the podcast.

Walking to the shop or taking Uber when I get in Wednesday afternoon and picking up some malt would be worth it though.

Ralph R.

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:55:26 am »
Love the Mecca Grade Lamonta. As noted, it IS expensive, but it's worth a splurge. The APAs I've made with it are noticeably different in all respects.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 10:01:39 am »
One thing I've been impressed with out of the Mecca's has been the color the malts have thrown. This beer is just Mecca Grade Peloton and Flaked Maize with an hour's boil.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:31:34 am »
One thing I've been impressed with out of the Mecca's has been the color the malts have thrown. This beer is just Mecca Grade Peloton and Flaked Maize with an hour's boil.

Got an extra "o" in there, bucko...it's Pelton!  But yeah, I know what you mean.  The American Mild I made with Lamonta, Metolius and Opal was a beautiful color!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline KLANNS

• 1st Kit
    • Beer's missing ingredient, found here:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 11:53:43 am »

Point me to a taste test that discerns hand floor malted vs mechanical floor malted vs machine malted.  Maybe throw in a new term "Shovel Floor Malted".

This is Seth Klann, owner/farmer/maltster at Mecca Grade. Someone sent me an email about this post and invited me to chime in. For those of you who have seen our machine and process (Denny Conn for example), the absolute best way to describe it is "Mechanically Floor Malted." No false advertising whatsoever.

I started home malting in my garage years ago before there was any information on the subject. I had many ideas on how to make floor malt even better, and was told that most of them wouldn't work because they simply "weren't being done." We came up with a way to do all of the processes of malting in one giant machine (steeping, germination, kilning)...what is referred to in the biz as a "uni-malter." These machines are rare. At 12 tons of finished malt a week, our machine is the world's largest unimalter. Some of the processes within it also lending to the flavor of finished malt, aside from the contributions from grain variety, terroir, etc. Many of our processes are proprietary, so instead of blasting it online, we invite brewers and distillers to the malthouse to witness how grain gets to glass first-hand.

Do you know what happens in a large, industrial malting process? If you can find some, look up some YouTube videos on malting. Grains are never completely turned over like in a traditional floor malt environment. Going into kiln, grain beds can be upwards of 8 feet deep. When hot air is blown through the bed you end up with stratification...different layers, different products. These are pulled off, stored, and blended later to try to make a more homogenized product.

Quite simply, if you can make every single kernel be the same product, you end up with a tremendous depth of flavor. The only way to do that is through using the best of the technology, shallow grainbeds, and semi-continuous movement. You know..."Mechanical Floor Malting."

Of course, you can always use a blended product like 2-row like everyone else. Just save the Mecca Grade for those that are in on the secret ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:56:14 am by KLANNS »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 12:23:19 pm »

This is Seth Klann, owner/farmer/maltster at Mecca Grade. Someone sent me an email about this post and invited me to chime in. For those of you who have seen our machine and process (Denny Conn for example), the absolute best way to describe it is "Mechanically Floor Malted." No false advertising whatsoever.

I started home malting in my garage years ago before there was any information on the subject. I had many ideas on how to make floor malt even better, and was told that most of them wouldn't work because they simply "weren't being done." We came up with a way to do all of the processes of malting in one giant machine (steeping, germination, kilning)...what is referred to in the biz as a "uni-malter." These machines are rare. At 12 tons of finished malt a week, our machine is the world's largest unimalter. Some of the processes within it also lending to the flavor of finished malt, aside from the contributions from grain variety, terroir, etc. Many of our processes are proprietary, so instead of blasting it online, we invite brewers and distillers to the malthouse to witness how grain gets to glass first-hand.

Do you know what happens in a large, industrial malting process? If you can find some, look up some YouTube videos on malting. Grains are never completely turned over like in a traditional floor malt environment. Going into kiln, grain beds can be upwards of 8 feet deep. When hot air is blown through the bed you end up with stratification...different layers, different products. These are pulled off, stored, and blended later to try to make a more homogenized product.

Quite simply, if you can make every single kernel be the same product, you end up with a tremendous depth of flavor. The only way to do that is through using the best of the technology, shallow grainbeds, and semi-continuous movement. You know..."Mechanical Floor Malting."

Of course, you can always use a blended product like 2-row like everyone else. Just save the Mecca Grade for those that are in on the secret ;D

I have questions I hope Seth or someone can answer, which I've decided place in a new topic:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=31580.0
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 01:22:58 pm »

More BS marketing.  Where's the taste test sir?  Can a floor malted malt be distinguished?  Turn your malt with your hands, a malt plow, a shovel, an auger or some other mechanical mechanism... It's all marketing BS.  Come back with some evidence.

Wow look at the color!  ROFL...  Such foolishness.  Was that a paid post?

Treat every grain the same..?? Pffft... Now I've heard it all.  That's what all malting operations attempt to do.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:29:31 pm by BitterItDown »