Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle Souring in an 10 gallon cooler  (Read 1619 times)

Offline cb9880

• 1st Kit
Kettle Souring in an 10 gallon cooler
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:54:27 pm »
I am looking into trying kettle souring.  I have soured a couple of beers in a fermenter but never tried quick souring.  I was thinking of boiling the wort cooling it down to 110F putting it into a 10 gallon cooler and then pitching lacto for a day or two.  Has anyone tried this method?

Offline jjw5015

• Cellarman
Re: Kettle Souring in an 10 gallon cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:41:50 am »
I don't think you need to boil it pre-lacto. That is, assuming you are going to boil post lacto.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:52:17 am »
Preboing isn’t a bad idea, because the lacto will be in a cleaner starting environment - I do that and cover with CO2 in a closed environment to limit other microbes from taking hold.  Then when target pH is reached, boil as usual.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 11:23:58 am »
That's a pretty good idea. I recently took my first whack at kettle souring, in the kettle, and I had to bump it with heat every 2.5-3 hours to keep it at 110-115. Hopefully your cooler idea means less maintenance while souring.  You're definitely going to want to post-sour boil to keep everything else clean, and that cooler is now a sour cooler forever?

Offline cb9880

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 02:26:13 pm »
I listened the recent podcast on brulosophy about kettle souring and they recommend boiling before and after pitching the lacto.  I just hope the cooler will keep the temp high enough long enough to really get the lacto moving.  Their thought was also creating a clean slate for the bacteria by preboiling.

Offline Nwsurfkid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:59:15 am »
Depends on lacto source for innoc temp..but, you really shouldnt have a problem with the process in a kettle or cooler. Most sources bought in grocery store will behave down to room temp from 100F.

Milk the funk wiki is worth reading regarding kettle sour process.

Dont over think it.

Mash, Boil 10 mins, cool to around 100F, pre-acidify PH to about 4.2 (helps prevent unwanted bugs), pitch lacto strain, let temp do what it wants,  sour until desired PH/taste, boil 10 mins, add hops, adjuncts, chill, ferment with wyeast 1007 or something tolerant.

If not boiling after process, then keep IBU low otherwise lacto will not be happy. If you do boil, then the hop amount does not matter post sour.
Purge top of souring vessel and cover if you want. I dont worry about it.
Make tincture or dump frozen fruit as normal post ferment until taste is what you want.

Read the MTF site if sour and artistically infected beers are what you like, for more info.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 06:00:58 am »
+1 on milk the funk