Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Southern Hemisphere Pale Recipe  (Read 2453 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Southern Hemisphere Pale Recipe
« on: March 29, 2018, 02:01:11 pm »
Trying to use up some random hops I have in the freezer that have accumulated for one reason or another.  I was thinking an American Pale Ale with mostly NZ/AU hops (it just so happens to be what I have on hand).  Have not used these much before or do not have firm recollections of their characteristics and how they may go together. 

Inventory:
2 oz Nelson Sauvin
1 oz Wakatu
1 oz Galaxy

Also have:
2oz of Amarillo
1oz citra (lupulin)
1oz mosaic (lupulin)
1oz cascade
1oz czech saaz whole hops

I have read amarillo can go well together with some of the NZ/AU hops above. 
Any recommendations on flavor/aroma combos?  Mix it all together and add at 15/5/Whirlpool and Dry Hop?  Will use whatever is left out for a 60 min addition. 

Will target 35-38 IBUs or so.  Simple malt base of 95% 2 row, 5% crystal 40 or so. 

No doubt going by the LHBS so could supplement other hops too if someone has a suggestion but trying to clear out the freezer a bit and use what I have.
Last thing- some of these hops are 2+yrs old but are in original vacuum package and in the chest freezer the whole time.  Any concern they may be suboptimal?  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:54:35 pm by rbowers »

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Re: Southern Hemisphere Pale Recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:03:01 pm »
What will your grain or extract bill look like?  and what flavors do you want in your pale?  Mostly the light (see less piney/ resinous) characters of the Southern Hemisphere hops or do you want some pine character?

Fermentation at Elevation

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:30:01 pm »
Malt bill will be something simple like:
95% American 2 row
5% crystal 40-60
Maybe throw in a little Vienna or Munich (5-10%) and reduce 2 row

Hop flavor/aroma likely to steer away from piney flavors, head more to tropical/fruit/citrusy.

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:49:50 pm »
Here is how I would add the hops if I were doing this...

bitter (60-90 minute boil) with cascade and maybe some amarillo.  Aim for about 6o ibus. 

Add 1 oz nelson at 15
add  all of citra and mosaic plus .5 oz amarillo, galaxy and wakatu at 5 minutes
add .5 oz amarillo at 0 minutes or whirlpool and then save the remaining hops for a dry hop.

Depending on the yeast you are using you can add some of the dry hops (galaxy or amarillo) during high krausen to achieve bio transformation of the hop oils.  They get juicy.

then add the rest of the dry hops a few days before packaging. 

I would save the saaz for another recipe where it wont get covered up. Maybe brew a simple golden ale for the summer. 

Fermentation at Elevation

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 01:21:30 pm »
Where did you get your Nelson? It is one of my favorite hops and I haven't been able to get my hands on it for years.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Southern Hemisphere Pale Recipe
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:05:28 pm »
Where did you get your Nelson? It is one of my favorite hops and I haven't been able to get my hands on it for years.
Nelson Sauvin? Last time I got them was from Northern Brewer. They say they are in stock now. https://www.northernbrewer.com/new-zealand-nelson-sauvin-hop-pellets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 07:00:33 pm »
Nelson Sauvin? Last time I got them was from Northern Brewer. They say they are in stock now. https://www.northernbrewer.com/new-zealand-nelson-sauvin-hop-pellets

Buck cheaper
https://www.grapeandgranary.com/nelson-sauvin-1-oz-pellet.html
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 10:44:41 am »

Buck cheaper
https://www.grapeandgranary.com/nelson-sauvin-1-oz-pellet.html
I forget that not everyone buys and uses hops in bulk like me  8) At 3 bucks an ounce plus shipping, that's a bit steep for me with the amount I use. I'll have to start keeping an eye out on my usual sites when the 2018 NZ harvest becomes available.
Eric B.

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:11 am »
I buy bulk.  I'm not looking for NZ hops, but have noticed in shopping for others everybody seems to be out of stock in NZ bulk, just ounces left.  Forgot about the reversed seasons!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:45:07 am »
I buy bulk.  I'm not looking for NZ hops, but have noticed in shopping for others everybody seems to be out of stock in NZ bulk, just ounces left.  Forgot about the reversed seasons!

Yep, they're just completing the harvest there, but it was delayed by late rain.  There's an interview with a NZ hop farmer on the podcast coming out tomorrow.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 03:09:09 pm »

Yep, they're just completing the harvest there, but it was delayed by late rain.  There's an interview with a NZ hop farmer on the podcast coming out tomorrow.
I'll have to check it out. Nelson has been in short supply the past few years, and I'm curious whether there has been any increased production.
Eric B.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 03:18:06 pm »

I'll have to check it out. Nelson has been in short supply the past few years, and I'm curious whether there has been any increased production.

IIRC, there was no indication that there is any increase. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 08:20:59 am »
Alright here is what I have come up with. Bring further suggestions.  Wanted to try a hop stand on this batch (never done before).  I have an electric set up so should be easy to maintain a temp.

12 gal batch
OG: 1.052
IBU ~37-38
SRM 6-7

Malt
92% American 2 Row
4% Carapils
4% Caramel 60

Hops:
Pacific Jade 14.3% 1oz @ 60min (23.1 IBU)
1oz each amarillo 8.6%/galaxy 14% /nelson 12.5%/wakatu 7.1% for 30 min hopstand @ ??180F (assuming ~10% utilization maybe gets me ~15 IBUs??)
Dry Hop 5 day 1oz each of amarillo/nelson/pacific jade (0 IBU)

Going to split batch between 2nd gen of American Ale Blend (WLP060) sitting on a kolsch currently and cry havoc 1st gen (1.5L starter)

Water: Ca:110, Cl ~50, Mg 18, SO4 ~200, Na 16 or thereabouts

Curious about the hopstand and the temp.  Go longer or higher temp/lower temp?  Like I said, never did one before.
Thoughts?

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »
Nothing wrong with throwing them out. I've made more than my share of s***ty batches trying to use up leftover ingredients.
Far better to dare mighty things....