Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modern Times Fraxos Recipe Formulation  (Read 1304 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Modern Times Fraxos Recipe Formulation
« on: April 14, 2018, 09:02:11 pm »
Anyone have a chance to taste Fraxos? I bought a 4-pack two weeks ago - it was the best damned NEIPA I ever had. In full disclosure, I am in Nevada, so there's not a surplus of NEIPAs here ...

I would like to build-up a Fraxos recipe based on the details provided on the M.T. website.

ALC. BY VOL: 7.20
IBU: 50
FINAL GRAVITY: 1.016
HOP VARIETALS: CITRA • SIMCOE • CENTENNIAL
MALT VARIETALS: 2 ROW • OATS • RAW WHEAT • CRYSTAL 40
YEAST: LONDON ALE III

For an ABV of 7.2 and FG of 1.016 w/London Ale III, what would the Original Gravity be?

In Beersmith, an OG of 1.075 gives and ABV of 7.3 but estimates the FG to be 1.020 (sweet).

Its odd, when I increase the OG, the FG drops; and conversely, when decrease the OG, the FG increases.

Looking for advice on building this recipe!

Given the information posted for Fraxos, how would you build it?

FRAXOS: http://www.moderntimesbeer.com/beer/fraxos

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Modern Times Fraxos Recipe Formulation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:21:10 am »
Maybe replace some of the base malt with a little sugar. Use enough to keep the ABV the same but this should lower the FG.

I know sugar isn't listed as an ingredient but just a passing thought. Also, I use BS and find sometimes the predicted FG isn't what I end up at. It's an estimation and I try to keep that in mind.

Ralph R.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:48:05 am »
They're probably getting better attenuation from the yeast than what your calculator is set at.
Dan Chisholm

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 09:18:41 am »
Your FG should decrease if you lower the amount of crystal, but of course BS is just making a ball park estimate.

NEIPAs have a lot of sulfate and chloride at levels higher than most brewers are used to. Scott Janish's blog (google it)  has a lot of good info on making NEIPAs. 

Most of your hops should be used in a hopstand and in one or 2 dryhop additions.  The first dry hop would be at the tail end of the active fermentation and the second in the keg.  You might need 1/2 -1 ounce of hops in a bittering addition.  Apart from the bittering addition, I would keep the ratio of hops in the various additions constant.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:46:54 am »
I was looking for help w/recipe formulation. I'll start reading through Scott Janish's blog.