Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recommendations wanted for high end all grain brewing system  (Read 2876 times)

Offline fullfaboy

• 1st Kit
Recommendations wanted for high end all grain brewing system
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:32 am »
I currently use a Picobrew Zymatic. I had high hopes but it’s just not working for me. I want to invest in a SERIOUS system. Money not being an issue. What would you recommend? Can be electric or gas and the footprint is not an issue. I want something where the beer that is made could easily be scaled up. Blichman? Thanks for your input. Finally. I assume I wouldbrew 10 gallon batches but some flexibility in the volume would be a nice plus.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Recommendations wanted for high end all grain brewing system
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:48:51 am »
Pico Z is scalable from 2.5-10 gal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:24:52 am »
Spike has turn key electric systems.  I love my spike kettle.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:11:41 pm »
Have you checked out theelectricbrewery.com?  I really like my control panel. 

Offline jpeets

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:31:57 pm »
I own the 5gal electric pilot system from blichmann and love it no problem hitting all my numbers

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 05:15:05 pm »
If you have the time and can do some welding, build your own. You will be able to build exactly what you want and then make modifications without being worried about cutting into an expensive prefab system with a saw zaw an welding torch.

Otherwise, I'd consider a Sabco

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:00 am »
I hate building equipment...I'd rather spend my time brewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 08:07:06 pm »

+1 to this.  I don’t ever want to build another system. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 04:59:49 am »

It's not for everybody, I agree. I like riding motorcycles I hate working on them. But if you build your system you can build it to meet your specifications rather than have to brew to another's visioned specifications. And when you hack into it and change it you will not feel reluctant to make those cuts or weld.

For instance I have a 1.5 bbl system that we built back when we first started YHB. We have cut and added to the frame a few times (added a tippy dump, shortened it, added casters, etc).

As far as personal customization goes, I wanted an electric HLT but gas BK. I started with a 55 gallon MT with a custom made false bottom then switched to a Blichman MT and false bottom. Well, the 55 gallon fabbed false bottom works WAY, WAY  better than the Blickman MT false bottom so I switched back to the original.

We swapped out burners 2 or 3 times till we found the burner that works best for our system and welded ports, thermowells etc where they worked best for us. Adjusted pump location several times, added a PID.... you get the picture.

Offline drumminguy81

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 01:53:12 pm »
As mentioned the spike system is a nice turn key option.. I build my own version of it and love it.. if money is not an issue look into the new  ssbrewtech 1bbl pilot system. It is awesome. Basically a mini version of a pro brewhouse. Perfect pilot system but $$$$$ Or stout tanks makes some nice stuff but that is more custom tailored to what you want- individual pieces.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 08:35:17 pm »
That ssbrewtech system looks nice, but guess I'm not really in the market for a $16k brewhouse. Wow, caught me by surprise after seeing Ruby Street and sabco in the $5-$10k range

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 06:51:07 am »
I would have a hard time buying a complete system. My ideal system would be electric HLT, and gas on the BK. I’ve looked at buying a new rig many times. I would have to look at the Spike system. You could have it custom built to your specs. I like the welded fitting. I know that I would need 20-25 gallon kettles with the ability to do 5 gallon batches. I would love to remove all threaded fittings from my rig. I brew outside, would love the ability to move inside w electric. Once I decided, my commercial hood would be next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 08:25:21 am »
I currently use a Picobrew Zymatic. I had high hopes but it’s just not working for me. I want to invest in a SERIOUS system. Money not being an issue. What would you recommend? Can be electric or gas and the footprint is not an issue. I want something where the beer that is made could easily be scaled up. Blichman? Thanks for your input. Finally. I assume I wouldbrew 10 gallon batches but some flexibility in the volume would be a nice plus.

Blichmann is definitely an option. Blichmann is designed to be flexible and as a result requires a bit of configuration. There are folks who make nice fully built systems. The Cadillac of systems is probably the Brew Magic by Sabco (https://brewmagic.com/) or possibly B3 sculptures (https://www.morebeer.com/category/brewsculptures-morebeer.html).

Is it just the scale of the picobrew? If scale is the whole problem, then the picobrew Z could be your answer.

There are unlimited options for folks with the space and the money depends on what kind of customization you want, how involved you want to be in the brew day, and which parts of the process you'd like to optimize for.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/