Author Topic: Oregon Hop farms  (Read 285 times)

Offline Merkur

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Oregon Hop farms
« on: April 15, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
I would like the opportunity while in Portland for HomeBreCon to visit a hop farm and learn more about hop growing and processing.  Does anyone know if a) AHA is planning such a tour or b) if anyone has done this and has any recommendations?

Thanks,

Paul
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!             Bill Owen

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oregon Hop farms
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:49:35 PM »
A) not as far as I know

B) yes, I have, both in OR and in Yakima.  You're up against 2 problems...any OR hop growing will be at least an hour and a half drive south of PDX.  And in June there won't be a lot going on.  A couple months later would be a different story.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
Late June still not a whole lot to see in yakima either

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »
Just this week I say the first sign of growth in the hop fields.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
SWEET!!!

Offline Merkur

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I hadn't thought about the seasonal aspect of hop farming and there wouldn't be a lot going on.  Good point.

At last year's conference in Minneapolis I was lucky enough to go on the trip to Rahr Malting.  The largest single location malt-house in the world.  It was well worth the trip with railroad cars of grain arriving and the grains being steeped, malted and dried.  Well worth the visit - especially the on-site brewery, food and beer truck!

Paul
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!             Bill Owen

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:48:55 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I hadn't thought about the seasonal aspect of hop farming and there wouldn't be a lot going on.  Good point.

At last year's conference in Minneapolis I was lucky enough to go on the trip to Rahr Malting.  The largest single location malt-house in the world.  It was well worth the trip with railroad cars of grain arriving and the grains being steeped, malted and dried.  Well worth the visit - especially the on-site brewery, food and beer truck!

Paul

Great Western melting is a short hop over the border in Vancouver, WA.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »

Paul

Great Western melting is a short hop over the border in Vancouver, WA.

We asked them about tours and they're not really set up for it.   Plus since they're in the Port of Portland there are DHS regs to deal with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell