Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has dry yeast improved?  (Read 6024 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Has dry yeast improved?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 06:24:51 pm »
I started brewing in '96 and dry yeast was terrible, by 2006 dry yeast was a quality product.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 06:43:45 pm »
I like several dry yeasts to the point that rather than repitching a liquid yeast during warm months, I go with dry yeast.  My fear in warm months is that there is just so much of an airborne microbial level that I want to just minimize the possibility of contamination and not repitch or propagate yeast very much.  Dry yeast costs less and I can pitch a substantial amount inexpensively.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 07:07:04 pm »
I like several dry yeasts to the point that rather than repitching a liquid yeast during warm months, I go with dry yeast.  My fear in warm months is that there is just so much of an airborne microbial level that I want to just minimize the possibility of contamination and not repitch or propagate yeast very much.  Dry yeast costs less and I can pitch a substantial amount inexpensively.
I wouldn't worry too much.  I repitch year round with no problem.   The way I see it, a big, healthy repitch of fresh, well adapted yeast is the strongest thing around, with practically no lag time and strength in numbers.  If there's something in the air, it's in the air and not your pitch, no matter what you pitch. And since I bake a lot of sourdough, there's likely always something in the air. If you like a yeast, use it just because you like it, dry or otherwise.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 07:56:16 am »
I hear you, Robert.  I once had a brewhouse infection that carried over through a couple re-pitched batches, so I am overboard on cleaning and sanitation.  But you are right - keep it clean and healthy and there should be no problems.  I re-pitch, but only when the timing is right or a direct re-pitch on the same day as harvest/racking.  I brew 10 gallon batches, so I remain fastidious - perhaps beyond reasonable.....cheers!

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »
Nice to see quality and diversity of strains improving in the last few years. Kevin Lane from Fermentis mentioned something very interesting during his 2015 NHC presentation that I have not found any corroborating evidence on their website. He indicated that Fermentis is no longer recommending rehydration. Quite interesting.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »
Interesting about the rehydration comment - I have not rehydrated on occasion, without any issue other than a slight lag on 34/70 and MJ Bavarian M76.  So for lagers, lately I have been rehydrating in water for a half hour to an hour with a really good shake, somewhat a la the SNS approach to liquid yeasts with wort.  It seems to jump start the fermentation a little, but it could be the good aeration of the main wort...I have no way of really knowing.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 11:09:28 am »
I tried rehydrating a couple of times several years ago, but didn't notice any noticable change in my beer. I have since discarded that step in my brewing process.

FWIW, the only time I use liquid yeast is when I can't find a suitable dry alternative for a beer I want to brew. That is happening less and less often over the past few years. I just don't have a convenient LHBS and don't always have the ability to plan my brewdays to ensure that I have fresh liquid yeast to pitch. I always keep US-05, W 34/70, Belle Saison, S-189, and one or two other dry yeast strains laying around in my fridge, and I can brew 90% of my usual beers with these options.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline clibit

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 06:26:18 am »

Gervin ale and Nottingham are the same but your Munton's Ale yeast may be a different strain from the Munton's Gervin ale yeast sold here in the UK. Gervin/Nottingham is/are both pretty attenuative and gives a dry finish that some people describe as tart. Doesn't sound like yours.

There are three different Munton's yeasts (available here in the UK) that may be causing confusion? Munton's Active yeast and Munton's Premium Gold yeast are both sold in 6g packs and found here:

http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/category/yeasts-and-other-products/

And thirdly Gervin yeast, sold in in 11g packs, and found here as GV12, is widely believed to be the Nottingham strain:

http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/other-products/gervin-yeast/

I'm sure that all three are different, they behave differently.

Gervin GV12 behaves like Nottingham and is used by many home brewers in the UK, it's very cheap, about £1.50 for 11g.

Munton's Gold is pretty neutral but has a touch of fruitiness, it attenuates less than Gervin, low 70s, and flocculates much more slowly. This yeast seems fairly popular here, costs about £1.75 for 6g. The small packs are off putting in the modern market though, I'm sure they would sell more if they up-sized them.

Munton's Active yeast is very cheap and it does not convert maltotriose - Munton's recommend it for use with cheap extract kits where simple sugars are added to make up the fermentables - though it can work well in low gravity AG beers like milds, to leave some body and sweetness.

I've recently tried MJ Liberty Bell yeast, and I like it. Would be interested to know where this yeast originates from, but the marketing chap I bumped into recently from MJ wasn't giving anything away. He did say one of the MJ range was re-packaged Nottingham though. My guess would be M42, can't see what else it could be.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:07 pm »
I brew a lot of German styles and haven't yet found a dry yeast I like much for those.  I've tried 34/70 several times with mixed results, but my go-to for lagers is a healthy pitch from a starter made with FRESH WLP830.  I haven't found a dry yeast I like for Hefes, Kolsch or Alt, either.

That said, I use US-05 almost exclusively for American Ales - APA, IPA, Porter, Cream Ale, etc.  I keep a couple packs of US-05 in the fridge all the time so I can brew an American Ale pretty much any time without planning (I also keep 2-row, several crystal malts and my go-to hops on hand).  Rehydrated US-05 is super reliable and can be run across a broad temperature range to suit one's needs/preferences.

...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 03:27:28 pm »
I brew a lot of German styles and haven't yet found a dry yeast I like much for those.  I've tried 34/70 several times with mixed results, but my go-to for lagers is a healthy pitch from a starter made with FRESH WLP830.

Same experience here UNTIL.... I tried S-189.  The S-189 is a very good dry lager yeast.  Finally my lager actually tastes "German"!  W-34/70 is a terrible yeast in comparison, terrible stuff, I won't use it again.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 05:14:24 am »
I brew a lot of German styles and haven't yet found a dry yeast I like much for those.  I've tried 34/70 several times with mixed results, but my go-to for lagers is a healthy pitch from a starter made with FRESH WLP830.

Same experience here UNTIL.... I tried S-189.  The S-189 is a very good dry lager yeast.  Finally my lager actually tastes "German"!  W-34/70 is a terrible yeast in comparison, terrible stuff, I won't use it again.

Agreed on S-189. 34-70 is no match, but not terrible - some get lemon notes from it.  US - 05 is clovey to me when used cool. S-23 is a bit too fruity.  MJ Bohemian was way too sulfury and MJ Bavarian was basically 34-70 as far as I could tell, again, not terrible.  2206 is not dry, but I like it in my German lagers

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 05:52:24 am »
34/70 isn't bad at all, but it does pale in comparison to S-189. S-189 has proven to be a very nice yeast that truly expresses German maltiness to me. However, S-189 does require proper lagering. It is rough, hot, and alcoholic prior to proper lagering and that all disappears after about 6 weeks of lagering.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 10:31:44 am »
34/70 isn't bad at all, but it does pale in comparison to S-189. S-189 has proven to be a very nice yeast that truly expresses German maltiness to me. However, S-189 does require proper lagering. It is rough, hot, and alcoholic prior to proper lagering and that all disappears after about 6 weeks of lagering.
It is also less amenable to warmer lager fermentation temps and "accelerated" lager fermentations in my experience. I definitely got some fusels when I attempted my usual 34/70 fast lager fermentation schedule with it. It is worth the wait, though.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 01:07:49 pm »
I never rush the S-189 (fermented typically at 47-49F), but it can be ready to rack to a serving keg in 14 days; just that it will need some additional time in the keg to clarify on its own.  It is drinkable in 21 days, if fermented cold and enough yeast is pitched (I usually pitch 3 sachets in 10.5 gallon batches).  It definitely seems better when I rack at 21 days and serve two weeks later or beyond.  It can be re-pitched with success, but I rarely do that anymore, since I am letting it sit in primary for a while longer than I used to do, based on keeping "reserves" in line at all times.  When a couple kegs open up in the rotation, then I look to rack in keeping with that availability.

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 05:05:16 am »
Brewed my first Bohemian Pilsner with 34/70 this year. All grain 2.5 gallon batch, distilled with mineral additions. Straight pitch no rehydration and fermented at 60f for 3 weeks then in cold closet at 49f for 2 weeks. Kegged and left in the keggerator another 3. Fantastic. No corn, no weird flavors, just a straight up delicious Pils. I only have 1 beer i ferment with liquid yeast and that's my steam beer.  Everything else is dry and never rehydrated. I recently brewed a cream beer with an expired packet of US05 (May 2016!!) and it is fantastic.  In my experience, dry yeast has come a very long way and continues to improve.
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple