Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: local flabby and banana ridden saisons  (Read 965 times)

Offline formslash

• 1st Kit
local flabby and banana ridden saisons
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:55:02 am »
A few local breweries have saison offerings and both of them miss the mark... by quite a lot, IMO. I asked the assistant brewer of one what yeast they were using and he mentioned a mix of saison and wit yeasts. That might explain the overriding banana I get out of theirs which I consider a fault in a saison. The other brewery has one that is not sharp/dry at all - just a flabby and sweet mess in which the dry hopping does nothing to cover the mistakes.

Is this the norm or am I just having bad luck with local saisons?

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Re: local flabby and banana ridden saisons
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:02:19 am »
I often find Saisons disappointing - both craft-brewed and home-brewed.  That said, there are commercial and home-brewed examples that are sublime - I'm not a Saison hater.  I think its a style where it's easy for a brewer to get lax or complacent.  I think that's true of some other "rustic" styles, too.  Just because a beer style can be fermented at a higher temperature and can be expected to have some funky or rustic character doesn't give the brewer a pass on using good fermentation practices or showing appropriate restraint with ingredients.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:03:51 am »
I think too many brewers don't understand what a saison should be like.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 02:04:59 pm »
One of my biggest gripes about a lot of saisons and what not is that banana character that seems to happen with a hot ferment with some of the alternative strains like French Saison or Farmhouse.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline MonyTenzel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:54:12 pm »
Is it that's pro's over pitch, or possibly have issues with properly raising fermentation temps? My brews end up fairly dry with a nice pepper note, but I rapidly crank the temp once a krausen forms. I've also created a blend from commercial brews/strains I enjoy; standard, Dupont, ommegang, and wlp566.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk