Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which option should I use when sending this beer to competition?

Category 23 and list malted oats
0 (0%)
Category 10A and not list malted oats
1 (50%)
Both option 1 and 2 and enter twice
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: August 20, 2010, 11:22:21 am

Author Topic: Choosing the correct BJCP category for competition  (Read 3256 times)

Offline David Little

• 1st Kit
    • MacGruffus Brewery
Choosing the correct BJCP category for competition
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:21 am »
My house beer is an oatmeal pale ale that uses about 9% malted oats in the grist. I'm sending it in to competition and am trying to decide on which category I should enter the beer. From reading the BJCP guidelines it would seem like I should probably enter the beer in category 23 since oatmeal is not a "normal" adjunct but since it's malted oats, the beer doesn't really carry the same oatmeal characteristic as using unmalted oats in an oatmeal stout.

I'm trying to decide if I should enter the beer as a Category 10A (American Pale Ale) since it fits all the criteria for that style except for the use of malted oats or if I should use Category 23 (Specialty) since it uses a non-standard adjunct.

I'm guessing the best answer is to send it to both and see where it gets judged better but why waste a couple bottles of good beer to only get scoresheets back saying "you should have entered this in the other category."

Thoughts?

David

ps: the recipe is here
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:26:28 am by dplittle »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Choosing the correct BJCP category for competition
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:24:51 am »
Taste it.  If the oats are not evident, enter it as a 10A.  If it doesn't taste quite right for a 10A because of the oats, enter it as a 23.  If you can't decide, find some people to taste it and help you figure it out.  Worst case, if you're still undecided, enter it as both and see what those judges think.

It's all about the beer you made, not what the recipe is.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:26:51 am »
The question is what does it taste like.  The judge will not know what the recipe is if entered as an APA and will be looking for the oats if you enter it as cat 23.

The judges judge on perception, so enter it as what it tastes like.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 12:07:11 am »
As the others have said, it depends on how it tastes.  If the oats are not evident, enter as an APA and do not mention the oats.  If they are evident, enter as Specialty and note the special ingredient.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 12:46:02 am »
Check out my Think Like a Judge article in Zymurgy or the Be Your Own Best Critic article in BYO for tips on assessing your own beer and entering in competitions.

I agree with the "taste it" comments, but keep in mind there is another answer besides A, B, or A+B; it's "none of the above."

If you can't taste the oats, then don't enter it as 23.  If the oats make the body seem too big or hurt the crispness of the style, don't enter it as 10a.  If it doesn't fit in either, then save yourself some money and don't enter it at all. It sounds like a good beer, but not all good beers have a clear fit in a competition.

Judges in the competition will be judging it against the respective guidelines, so objectively compare it to those.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline niquejim

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:53:06 am »
I learned this lesson recently with the Longshot competition. Gordon replied on my sheet "A better beer than the score indicates. You were marked down for how you descibed it" for my Sour mango ale http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/drunk-owl-mango-55227/

Live and learn
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »
was the final gravity 1.010 or 1.022?

with the oats, dextrine and C-120 in there, I'm wondering if you'd be better off entering as an American Amber (10B), body seems like it will be too much to score well as an Am. Pale and the calculated color for your beer is 9.4 and A.As start at 10

for category 23, it's not a Black IPA so it won't win the oats need to stand out

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:15:12 pm »
for category 23, it's not a Black IPA so it won't win

*Dave likes this*
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.