Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Britsh Ale Yeast Questions.  (Read 2458 times)

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
Britsh Ale Yeast Questions.
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:49:40 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have a beer that I brewed a little over 2 weeks ago (I know it is still pretty young) using a starter with 2 vials of White Labs British ale yeast (005) and after taking a gravity reading yesterday I was a little disspointed. OG was 1.065 and the gravity reading yesterday was 1.022 which by my reckoning is attentuation of around 66%ish. This is the first batch where I have tried to control fermentation temps (68F) and was hoping to get down to around 1.014 or so. I am not planning to do anything with the beer for another 3 weeks or so but was wondering if I should try and stir up the yeast a little as I know this particluar yeast is very flocculant or should I leave it be?

Also with these very flocculant yeasts do I need to worry about there being enough yeast left in suspension come bottling time? I have another ale which is ready for bottling (4 weeks in primary & 5 weeks in secondary gravity readings are steady and have been for a while) where I used white labs 002, do I need to add fresh yeast?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Britsh Ale Yeast Questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:05:28 am »
Some of the British yeast will want to drop out on you, warming them as fermentation slows will help with this.

Without knowing your recipe and mash temp/time its going to be difficult to see what the issue is.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:06:56 am »
Yeah, as babalu said, warming it up will help.  Since you're not planning to do anything with it for a while, I'd get it up to the low 70s and let it go for a week and see if you get a drop in gravity.

If you're worried about getting viable yeast in each bottle, I would make sure to pick some up with the racking cane when racking to a bottling bucket.  It will mix in while you rack and give you some in each bottle, and you really don't need that much.  If you're worried about viability though, you should add some fresh yeast at bottling.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:23:30 pm »
The trick with this yeast is to throw enough at your beer to allow it to finish in 3-4 days.  SO... Warm it up to about 72 and rouse the yeast (without splashing) every couple of days for another week.  That's about all you'll get out of it.  I calculate that you should only expect 1.016-18 with that amount of yeast in a 1.065SG beer. What temp did you mash at and how much crystal malt did you have in your recipe?

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 10:29:23 am »
It is an extract brew.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 01:11:36 pm »
Any steeping grains?  Have you been able to get similar recipes with other yeasts down to 1.014?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:50 am »
There were steeping grains, about 8oz crystal, 4 oz Victory, 4oz special roast, 4 oz smoked and 4 oz torrified wheat. Yes I have had success with similar recipes in getting down to 1.014 ish. I will go ahead and warm it up and rouse it a little and see what happens. My intial question came from the fact that the white labs website list the birtish ale of having an attentuation of 67 - 75% (I think they are the right numbers) so I just wondered if I should just accpet hwre it had gotten to.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:23:12 pm »
Extract can finish a bit high sometimes, try brewing the same beer with 1/2 pound of table sugar in there. Maybe bump the hops a little.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:57:29 am »
Hi everyone,

So around 2 weeks ago I raised the temp on this fermentation to around 72F and roused the yeast by stirring gently. I let it go for just over a week (there was bubbling in the airlock but no other signs of activity) and then took another hydro reading which was exactly the same as before rousing :-[ and the beer was really cloudy and murky looking whereas before rousing it was clear as bell. strangely the color of the beer has also gotten lighter ??? !  I left it for another 5 days and then took another reading and everything was still the same (cloudiness, color gravity). Have I screwed up this batch somehow? When I took my inital reading the beer was a nice dark amber color and was clear as a bell hwat could have happened?

Any help very much appreciated.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:02:56 am »
It probably looks lighter since the yeast is now back in suspension.  It sounds like you're as low as you're going to get on gravity.  Drop the temperature back down a bit and let it sit and the yeast should settle out again.  Then you can bottle it up.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »
The beer isn't lighter, it's just more reflective.  Sort of how your mash looks lighter until it's converted, and then it gets clear and dark.

Chill it to drop the yeast.  You can always fine it if it doesn't drop on its own (but it should since it did the first time).
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong