Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 008 / Krausen will not collapse  (Read 3442 times)

Offline ajs195

• 1st Kit
WLP 008 / Krausen will not collapse
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:04:34 am »
This is the first time using White Labs East Coast Ale yeast.  The first beer I used with it was just a simple pale ale (O.G. 1.046; all grain, mashed @ 152F).  I made a starter and aerated with an aquarium pump for about 45-60 mins.  Fermentation got started quickly, under 6 hours or so, and continued like normal.  The only concern that I have had is the krausen will not collapse and it has been two weeks since the yeast has been pitched. 

A note on what I have available to control fermentation:  I do not have the space and resources to get a icebox and/or fridge to help with fermentation, all I can do is leave the carboy in the basement in a little tub of water with towels draped over it.  Unfortunately temperatures can range from 68 to 75 F (possibly more).  For the last couple of beers I used WLP 001 California Ale yeast and fermentation is done within 7 days within these conditions.  No surprise, I have been having over attenuation issues.  I will have to stop brewing until I get lower temperatures this fall.    :'(

I was just wondering what have others experience with this yeast strain, and any suggestions on what I could of done wrong?  Can stuck fermentations still have a krausen?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: WLP 008 / Krausen will not collapse
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:24:30 am »
I've never use dthis strain that I recal, but a lot of strains (especially German Strains) can leave krausen on the top for several days, even weeks after fermentation is finished. Nothing to worry about, just low floccing strains. Have you taken a gravity reading yet? That's the tool you need to rely on to see if fermentation is finished.

Offline ajs195

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 10:37:42 am »
The gravity was 1.010 when I racked to secondary so it was pretty much done fermenting.  Gravity fell one point to 1.009 during secondary and was bottled yesterday.  Just found it odd that the krausen did not settle out.  Could there be off flavors/aromas it one racks before the krausen collapses?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:36:02 am »
No. Like I said, it is actually quite common for many yeast. Specifically low flocculating, top cropping type yeast. I would be way more concerned about your fermentation temperature. There are inexpensive ways to maintain a cool, steady temperature even during the summer. Consider rigging up a swamp cooler. The extra volume of water will help regulate a more constant fermentation temp. For most beers, any fermentation temp over 68-70 - 72 at the highest, can cause off flavors.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:39:05 am by majorvices »