Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest Gravity (WLP820/WLP833)  (Read 15619 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Oktoberfest Gravity (WLP820/WLP833)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 09:17:18 am »
I used a single infusion mash at 152F and fermented at 148F.

Do you find it difficult to maintain that fermentation temperature?  ;D

This is a 2nd generation of WLP830.

That's supposed to be the W34/70 strain, which was George Fix's favorite.  If I trust internet sources, it's also supposed to be the same as Wyeast 2124, which is another of my favorites.  I used to use it in my malty German styles until the Ayinger strain was released.  I'll probably try it again; I had been focusing on the bock yeast while I was learning it.  Time to rediscover an old favorite; thanks for the reminder.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 09:19:45 am »
I used a single infusion mash at 152F and fermented at 148F.
Do you find it difficult to maintain that fermentation temperature?  ;D

Just making sure you were paying attention.   ;)

Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 09:22:03 am »

That's supposed to be the W34/70 strain, which was George Fix's favorite.  If I trust internet sources, it's also supposed to be the same as Wyeast 2124, which is another of my favorites.  I used to use it in my malty German styles until the Ayinger strain was released.  I'll probably try it again; I had been focusing on the bock yeast while I was learning it.  Time to rediscover an old favorite; thanks for the reminder.

Your welcome.  I also like using it for my German Pilsners.  It gets more attenuative through the generations.  I really like this strain.
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 09:46:30 am »

That's supposed to be the W34/70 strain, which was George Fix's favorite.  If I trust internet sources, it's also supposed to be the same as Wyeast 2124, which is another of my favorites.

I come across catalog from Brewing Science Institute and they say that
WY2124 = Weihenstephan 34/70
and WL820 = Weihenstephan 34/70

WL830 = Weihenstephan 206
and WL2206 = Weihenstephan 206

Here is the catalog:
http://www.brewingscience.com/PDF/prodlist/BSI_Product_List.pdf

Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 10:12:49 am »
Interesting.  I guess I'm not sure which sources to believe now.  So I'll just go by which I've used and what my palate tells me.  Again, I sometimes get different results from yeast that are supposed to be the same if I get them from different suppliers.

I like WLP833 and WY2124 in malty German styles and WY2206 in almost any lager, but usually the more attenuated ones.

I don't like WLP820 because of sulfur production.  I don't get that character in WY2124 or WY2206.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »
Here is the catalog:
http://www.brewingscience.com/PDF/prodlist/BSI_Product_List.pdf
It's too bad BSI stopped selling plates, as far as I can tell they have a lot of strains that Wyeast and White Labs don't make available.  I managed to get 4 of the CL strains and I have them banked, but it would be nice to get some other ones.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 07:41:32 am »
No surprise the 833 is the Ayinger strain...it is clean and tasty.  Both kegs now sitting at 54F after being racked from primary.  Planning to check again in a week when I return from a short trip them take back down to 33F.

Based upon my initial tasting, the 833 is a clear winner over 820 so far.

I'll follow-up...and thanks for the clarification on the yeast strains.  Hope to have some fresh German lager this week.

Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 07:44:22 am »
Please post some side-by-side tasting notes when you do try them. I know it might be awhile; you do need to give them a chance to lager.

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 01:08:56 am »
Please post some side-by-side tasting notes when you do try them. I know it might be awhile; you do need to give them a chance to lager.

Will do Gordon.  I plan to do just that as I am really curious how the two strains compare.  I have this feeling that maybe the 820 just needs a lot more time to hit its peak.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 04:28:10 am »
I've used 820 many times and have found that I'm not a big fan.  It doesn't attenuate enough for my liking, however it may get better through the generations.  I think it does get better with some extended lagering time.  I haven't tried 833.  I will give that a shot on a Bock.

Ron Price

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:12 am »
Hello all,

I'm having the same issues with attenuation in my Oktoberfest, but with a different yeast strain. I opted to use Wyeast 2633 - Octoberfest Lager Blend.

According to Wyeast, their Oktoberfest strain is a "a blend of lager strains designed to produce a rich, malty, complex and full bodied Octoberfest style beer. Attenuates well while still leaving plenty of malt character and mouthfeel. Low in sulfur production."

Unfortunately, after 3 weeks in primary (2 at 50 degrees F and 1 at 60 degrees F), I'm at 69% attenuation. The yeast's purported attenuation range is between 73-77%.

Has anyone had any similar issues with this yeast? I'm not sure of the source. If anyone has info, please post.

As far as fermentablity of the wort, I did a triple decoction, so I don't think that it's an issue (see the brewing log for the recipe)

Based on what I've read in this thread and from other sources, I have some options:
  • Gently swirl the carboy to get yeast back in suspension and wait it out.
  • Ramp up the temperature to 65 degrees F to get the yeasties to consume the last of the sugars, swirl, and wait it out
  • Take a sample and do a "forced fermentation" to see if the are, indeed, any fermentable sugars left.
  • Add a fresh inoculation of an attenuative yeast like US-05 or WLP001, swirl, and wait it out.
  • Rack to a secondary to see if any further fermentation will occur. If not, cut my losses.

Thanks,

Geoff

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »

Based on what I've read in this thread and from other sources, I have some options:
  • Ramp up the temperature to 65 degrees F to get the yeasties to consume the last of the sugars, swirl, and wait it out
  • Take a sample and do a "forced fermentation" to see if the are, indeed, any fermentable sugars left.
  • Add a fresh inoculation of an attenuative yeast like US-05 or WLP001, swirl, and wait it out.
  • Rack to a secondary to see if any further fermentation will occur. If not, cut my losses.
Thanks,

Geoff

One you Rack off the yeast cake, your done. (In my experiance).  What was the OG and SG so far?
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 12:49:50 pm »

Thanks,

Geoff

One you Rack off the yeast cake, your done. (In my experiance).  What was the OG and SG so far?

Unless there is some yeast remaining in suspension. 

As I understand it...some Germans breweries will rack off the primary yeast at 75% attenuation and cold age the beer allowing it to slowly and fully attenuate acheiving that "distinct taste" which we  all strive to achieve.  I have yet to try it but I am planning to do so soon.
Ron Price

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 12:52:06 pm »

Thanks wingnut. My OG was 1.058 and the latest reading I have is 1.018.

Since my post I've been thinking. Dangerous practice, I know, but nonetheless, I've concluded to ramp up the temperature to 65 degrees F and swirl. However, I'm still open to any other ideas...

Geoff
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:11:25 pm by brewblogger »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:34 pm »

Thanks wingnut. My OG was 1.058 and the latest reading I have is 1.018.

Since my post I've been thinking. Dangerous practice, I know, but nonetheless, I've concluded to ramp up the temperature to 65 degrees F and swirl. However, I'm still open to any other ideas...

Geoff
I think that's a good idea, but some of your options aren't mutually exclusive.  I'd take a sample and get it up to ~75 or even higher, see if it finished out.  And you can add some more yeast to the sample if you have some lying around to do your forced ferment.  And you can do it while you wait for the rest of the beer to finish at 65F.
Tom Schmidlin