Author Topic: Anchor Liberty Ale  (Read 812 times)

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Anchor Liberty Ale
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:36:57 PM »
What do you all think of Anchor Liberty Ale?

I had some last night and want to hear what the hive mind has to offer.
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
Re: Anchor Liberty Ale
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
When fresh, it's a good standard IPA. I'm starting to miss "standard" American IPAs like this one, everyone is doing whacky new hops that don't appeal to me as much.

The issue is, my neck of the woods, it's never fresh, and is priced at a premium.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
I haven't seen it around here for years.  As the very first American IPA, it was a real shocker when it first appeared, nobody had tried anything like it.  It almost single-handedly  saved Cascade hops from abandonment.   Quite a legacy.  But it seems not to warrent shelf space as an unfashionable, 40-odd-year-old relic.  I would really like to try it again.  As extreme as it once seemed, it might actually be almost  restrained enough for my tastes (relative to everything else out there) today.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »
Liberty is the Luke, Han, and Chewy of IPAs. Everything else is Jar Jar

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »
Liberty is the Luke, Han, and Chewy of IPAs. Everything else is Jar Jar

Without Liberty, there may not have been an American IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:14 PM »
I haven't seen it around here for years.  As the very first American IPA, it was a real shocker when it first appeared, nobody had tried anything like it.  It almost single-handedly  saved Cascade hops from abandonment.   Quite a legacy.  But it seems not to warrent shelf space as an unfashionable, 40-odd-year-old relic.  I would really like to try it again.  As extreme as it once seemed, it might actually be almost  restrained enough for my tastes (relative to everything else out there) today.

Really?  I don’t mean that in a snarky tone, I just have always thought that Bert Grant had the first Post-Prohibition AIPA.  I know he had the first brew pub, and was an evangelist for hoppy beers.  However he never was as big as Anchor.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »
I am not a fan.  Maybe I'm not getting it fresh, but to me it's harsh.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Robert

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »

Really?  I don’t mean that in a snarky tone, I just have always thought that Bert Grant had the first Post-Prohibition AIPA.  I know he had the first brew pub, and was an evangelist for hoppy beers.  However he never was as big as Anchor.
Anchor Liberty came out in '75, well before Grant's pub opened, but of course it was never called an IPA (or anything else, "style" really wasn't a thing yet) so Bert may well have repopularized the term.  But it doesn't matter.  If Liberty is Luke, Han and Chewy, then Bert was running the Mos Eisly (sp?) Cantina. Without him, the Galaxy doesn't get saved. Now that you've brought him up, I really could go for a Grant's Celtic Ale.  Need a time machine, dammit.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »
Interesting.  What style was the Celtic Ale?  I know one of his brewers... maybe he’d have some info on the recipe.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline Robert

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »
Interesting.  What style was the Celtic Ale?  I know one of his brewers... maybe he’d have some info on the recipe.
"Style" again, hmm.  As I remember it, it was amber, malty, chewy and lightly fruity... it was probably supposed to be a mild,  but it was too hoppy (of course it was too hoppy, Bert Grant made it.)  I used to enjoy it in the early '90s, and having spent the late '80s in England, it was the sort of British-ish thing that really satisfied my yearnings.  It's probably mutated in my memory, but if I had a recipe, yeah, I might just temporarily ditch my lager yeast and have a go for old times' sake.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »

"Style" again, hmm.  As I remember it, it was amber, malty, chewy and lightly fruity... it was probably supposed to be a mild,  but it was too hoppy (of course it was too hoppy, Bert Grant made it.)

*cough*
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2017/06/lets-brew-1862-barclay-perkins-xx.html
*cough*
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Robert

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »

"Style" again, hmm.  As I remember it, it was amber, malty, chewy and lightly fruity... it was probably supposed to be a mild,  but it was too hoppy (of course it was too hoppy, Bert Grant made it.)

*cough*
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2017/06/lets-brew-1862-barclay-perkins-xx.html
*cough*
True, but as I've pointed out before, "mild" has meant different things in different times and places.  For a late 20th century English Mild, if that's what Celtic Ale was, it was very Bert Grantishly over hopped.  He started out as a hop R&D guy, not a brewer, after all.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:18:46 AM by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Chris S

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:21:47 AM »
My favorite beer to fail to reproduce. Gonna keep trying, though! They've gone through some changes and jettisoned some pretty good beers over the years (the Bock was really good), but that Liberty Ale...

Offline Robert

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 01:55:35 AM »
My favorite beer to fail to reproduce. Gonna keep trying, though! They've gone through some changes and jettisoned some pretty good beers over the years (the Bock was really good), but that Liberty Ale...

Isn't that the funny thing, trying to reproduce a beer.  Liberty should be so simple:  the grist is (as far as anyone knows) just 2 row brewers malt, the hops are just Cascade, and the yeast is available too -- WY1272.  And yet some something is different in your brewery from theirs....  Nonetheless, if you take these three ingredients and brew something, it's likely to be worthwhile in its own right. Simplicity is good.  And complicated at the same time. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
Used to be able to get it here in Alabama in the mid to late 90's, believe it or not. I remember it to be clean and grapefruity.