Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Founders Solid Gold  (Read 3055 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Founders Solid Gold
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »
Didn’t think a Lager with Lemondrop would please the palate quite as much as this one does, but I think Founders may have hit the sweet spot with Founders Solid Gold Premium Lager.  Pretty sessionable with a nice hop firmness.  Yes, you have to accept a Lager with lemon notes, but it sits better with me than the Sam Adams 76....or a radler.  Your thoughts?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

Re: Founders Solid Gold
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:10:27 pm »
I'll look for this one.  I've used Lemondrop in a lager (albeit in a blend,) and didn't find it as lemony as I expected (and lemon, of all citrus, is the citrus character I'd look for in a lager hop.) 

(I sometimes think there's something in the blend of creamy sweet grain and citrus hop character in a classic Helles-type lager that reminds me of lemon pie...)

Thanks for helping me make my shopping list!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 08:22:25 pm »
For what it is worth, I find it comparable to Revolution Cross of Gold Golden Ale - not as ale like, clearly, but somewhat more crisp, since it is a Lager - with that Lemondrop expression presenting fully.  Refreshing and enjoyable.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:46:16 pm »
Found it.  When I first opened it, I was really hit by the lemony hops, but in the glass it is really nicely balanced, the grain (creamy corn and biscuity malt) flavor is nice and firm, and the hops balance well.  Of a spate of "craft tries to take macro on their own ground" brews (and I wholeheartedly applaud the idea) this is one of the tastiest, and maybe has the best chance of appealing to both crowds. (I read that in some markets Founders is putting this in 24 packs placed only in the domestic macro section of the beer aisle -- taking it one shelf at a time, they say.)

Two similar to this to this I've tried recently:  Market Garden (Cleveland) Nano, described as an "OG lager;" I found the grain profile similar to Solid Gold, but the Founders is crisper in the hops. And I've had Four String (Columbus) Hilltop Heritage Lager, clean and crisp, but to the extent that you might not notice much difference if you just save your money and buy the cheapest case in the gas station.

I'll be buying this again.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:58:50 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:46:04 am »
Wish I could get it here. Been hearing good things.

New Belgium does a similar lager that I think is only distributed in Colorado. It is offered at a good price point in 15 can packs and I like it. Sounds like a similar idea...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:07 am »
Beer guy at the market thinks the NB beer may be coming to OH this summer. I'll keep an eye out.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 08:26:03 am »
Beer guy at the market thinks the NB beer may be coming to OH this summer. I'll keep an eye out.

That would be surprising. I wonder if they are planning to expand distribution?

"What better beer for a fall football game than a sessionable, crisp lager? For this special collaboration with Colorado State University, we brewed an incredibly easy-drinking lager that clocks in at 4.7% ABV.

Brewed with the finest malts and brightest hops, this beer floats subtly sweet honeycomb notes across the tongue, while a citrusy snap of Cascade and Chinook hops punctuates each delightful sip.

Available along the Colorado Front Range."

Anyway I am off topic. Carry on regarding the Founders product that I can't get  :(
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:51:29 am »
Sorry to draw off topic.  He just said "NB is supposed to be coming out with something like this," may be nothing to it.  But I don't think he was thinking Dayblazer, he knows his stuff; I didn't ask further Q's.  Back to topic.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:25:42 pm »
Tried the founders, thought it was fine.$3 a can at the bar, not a bad price, but any higher...

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:10:38 am »
Sorry to draw off topic.  He just said "NB is supposed to be coming out with something like this," may be nothing to it.  But I don't think he was thinking Dayblazer, he knows his stuff; I didn't ask further Q's.  Back to topic.

The Old Aggie has a pretty limited audience, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did something similar for the national market. 

IMO Dayblazer would be similar.  It's ale rather than lager, but still low color, low alcohol, low IBU.  It's a very light golden ale/blonde ale. Very sessionable.

We recently got Founders into Oregon so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.  Sounds intriguing (and polar opposite of the pastry of KBS/CBS).
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 08:26:16 am »
I had it last night. $4 a pint, so its competitively priced.

Its OK. A pleasant lemon note, but its otherwise more similar to a mega-lager...but that is probably the point and the intent. It is a baby step forward from a mega-lager and could be very successful for the brewery. I think that it could help a mega drinker take a step toward craft.

I would drink it over a mega-lager.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 02:21:33 pm »
I picked up a 15 pack of cans recently. I really enjoy it. The hop flavor and aroma adds a nice character that makes it more interesting than a typical macro lager. I would definitely buy it again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:36 pm »
Bought a 6 pack and liked it so much I went back next shopping trip and bought a case.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato