Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer  (Read 19292 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Why I'm not a big fan of IPA any longer
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2018, 05:26:06 pm »
Chaka say "Knee-pa.... knee-pa, juicy!"
So I see the BA has now added not one, not two, but THREE categories of "Juicy, hazy" IPA to their 2018 style guidelines.  Just when I was beginning to think this fad had peaked.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2018, 05:37:34 pm »
Chaka say "Knee-pa.... knee-pa, juicy!"
So I see the BA has now added not one, not two, but THREE categories of "Juicy, hazy" IPA to their 2018 style guidelines.  Just when I was beginning to think this fad had peaked.
Only 3? I guess Black, White, Belgian, Lager, and Sour Knee-pa hasn't taken off yet.

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:29 am »
To me the IPA is just another style.  I like some, others not so much.  Never really cared for those at the extreme end of the bitterness spectrum.  There are a few that I go back to again and again like Lagunitas (standard and Lil Sumpin' Sumpin'), Two-Hearted, Cigar City Jai Alai.
Out of 28 batches, I've brewed five IPAs and a IIPA.  My one attempt at a NEIPA-ish beer was fantastic, among my top 2 or 3 batches and will definitely be in regular rotation.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2018, 12:29:00 pm »
I brew IPAs more than any other style.  I have never brewed a hazy IPA, and likely won’t.  It just seems fadish to me, without actually contributing anything unique or special other than turbidity.  Additionally, the few I have tried have made me extremely gassy.  So my wife won’t let me brew one either!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline MagicRat

• Cellarman
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2018, 01:11:17 pm »
I brew IPAs more than any other style.  I have never brewed a hazy IPA, and likely won’t.  It just seems fadish to me, without actually contributing anything unique or special other than turbidity.  Additionally, the few I have tried have made me extremely gassy.  So my wife won’t let me brew one either!

I didn’t do anything to intentionally create haze.  I understand some commercial and homebrewers do so, which seems kind of silly.  I just didn’t use any whirlfloc or gelatin to clarify and just went with whatever haze occurred naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk