Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain small batch  (Read 1384 times)

Offline scorpion

• 1st Kit
All grain small batch
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:00 pm »
Hi All,

I am new to home brewing, I have brewed couple 5 gallon batches (using extract kit). I don't have much outside/open space, which makes brewing or cleaning the equipment hard. So I was thinking about brewing small batches, for which I can do it in my kitchen. I was also thinking to try all-grain brewing. So, I would like to know if we can brew all grain small batch brewing(like 1 - 2 gallon)? Can we buy these small batch all grain ingredient kits anywhere or do we have to gather them individually?

Sorry, if something is incorrect and thank you in advance.

Scorpion
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:42:55 pm by scorpion »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: All grain small batch
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:04:17 am »
I converted a cooler to a 1-2 gallon MT once. Used an instant how water heater for hot water. Boiled on my stove and fermented in 1 gallon jugs. Super easy and fun. Nice not to have to lug 5 gallon batches around and not needing heavy equipment. I'll send pics of the MT I build ASAP

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
All grain small batch
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »
I think you’d have to buy the ingredients separately. Why not use a sous vide heat stick and do mashes in a bag on the stove top in a stock pot?  If I were a one to two gal brewer this would be my set up.

https://youtu.be/cQCmDv-5JUk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:51:07 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:51:44 pm »
Northern Brewer
Morebeer
Adventures in HomeBrewing
Brooklyn Brew Shop

and others all sell 1 gallon brew kits. They are designed for brewing on the stove.

A few stores have 3 gallon kits, but, they are rare.

If you buy ingredients separately you can design recipes for any batch size.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »
Many of the on line home brew suppliers offer 1 gallon all grain kits. Most that I've seen are priced between 1/2 and 2/3 of what a 5 gallon kit would cost you. On the brighter side, some of the suppliers actually publish recipes for their kits. Just click on the kit you are interested and scroll down looking for things like, Ingredient List, Instructions or more information.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:40:06 am »
I brew a lot of small batches. I was never happy doing BIAB on the stove with it. I just couldn't keep consistent mash temperatures. I have a coil stove, which is the worse for heat consistency. I could see a sous vide circulator or gas stove making that easier.

I bought a two gallon cooler. I'm on my third version of using it as a mash tun. I tried using a brew bag in it to avoid spending money changing out the spigot but didn't like the results. I barely modified the spigot but ended up with a lot of stuck mashes. I recently upgraded the ball valve on my larger cooler and used the leftover parts from that to fit a standard ball valve on the cooler.

Here's the original build: http://homebrewingfun.blogspot.com/p/one-gallon-homebrewing.html#onegallon

I haven't had a chance to write up the newer build. It's pretty much the normal ball valve outlet for cooler mash tuns but I had to add some additional gaskets and washers to create a seal because the hole in the two gallon cooler is larger than a five or ten gallon cooler.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline scorpion

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 01:47:13 pm »
Thank you very much for the responses, I will get started.

Offline Druman07

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 07:28:32 pm »
I have been brewing all grain small batches exclusively since the beginning of the year. I received a kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop, which was a 1 gallon kit, and I was hooked. After buying some recipe kits from them, i found a local home brew shop, and i have been buying from them exclusively. Economy of scale plays out here, so it is more economical to do 5 gallons, but I don't have the room to brew outside, nor the ability to drink or share that amount of beer. With small batches I am brewing every weekend, making minor changes to develop my technique and compare the results. I have been using Brew Better Beer by Christensen as a guide as she provides recipe in 1 gal and 5 gal amounts, and I ask my HBS to give me 2x the recipe so I can brew it twice with different variations so i can compare the results. So far I have done 12 batches, and I learn something from each brew. Keep good notes! It comes in handy for referencing as you get more experienced. Have fun.