Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How's your LHBS doing?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How's your LHBS doing?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 04:31:50 pm »
My LHBS is a couple of shelves in an Ace Hardware store.  My last visit was pretty sad.  They used to have a couple pallets of sacks of malt, this time they only had 6 sacks, and none of it was what I wanted (pils and American 2-row).  And, they pretty much have given up stocking liquid yeast except for distiller's yeast.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 02:55:53 pm »
My local shop is on the struggle bus... It seems like they're perpetually in a state where they might not be open the next day. It's really a hydroponics shop that added a homebrew element to bring in more business. I think most in the area shop online, because it seems like a ton of people brew in the area, even if they aren't affiliated in a club.

How about you guys?
Do you live in VA by chance, cause we have the exact same issue. 1 of the 2 homebrew shops in town is a Hydroponics place that also sells homebrew supplies. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Hydro store was recently sold to owners who plan to keep the store open. My other LHBS (the one that is much more convenient for me) is doing quite well. It's a fantastic place. Essentially, anything you could possible need, he has... and he's also very active in the local homebrew club. Can't ask for more!
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 03:21:11 pm »
My local shop is on the struggle bus... It seems like they're perpetually in a state where they might not be open the next day. It's really a hydroponics shop that added a homebrew element to bring in more business. I think most in the area shop online, because it seems like a ton of people brew in the area, even if they aren't affiliated in a club.

How about you guys?
Do you live in VA by chance, cause we have the exact same issue. 1 of the 2 homebrew shops in town is a Hydroponics place that also sells homebrew supplies. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Hydro store was recently sold to owners who plan to keep the store open. My other LHBS (the one that is much more convenient for me) is doing quite well. It's a fantastic place. Essentially, anything you could possible need, he has... and he's also very active in the local homebrew club. Can't ask for more!

Nope, Central IL. I wonder how many hydro shops started thinking pot was going to be legalized all over and turned to brewing to make ends meet.

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 04:15:23 pm »
My LHBS is BrewHardware.com. Known Bobby for a long time. Guessing on-line is a good part of his business, but I try to support his brick and mortar for most of my needs. Great customer service and very knowledgeable. Assume he's doing well, but will have to ask next time I'm in. There's always people in there when I visit.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
My LHBS is BrewHardware.com. Known Bobby for a long time. Guessing on-line is a good part of his business, but I try to support his brick and mortar for most of my needs. Great customer service and very knowledgeable. Assume he's doing well, but will have to ask next time I'm in. There's always people in there when I visit.

I have recently discovered Bobby and couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk