Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Since it’s 4/20...  (Read 2793 times)

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
Since it’s 4/20...
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:58:20 am »
I was wondering if anyone knows if any hop extract producers are looking at producing any “live” extracts. Live meaning that it extracted from fresh or fresh frozen plant material. Instead of drying the plant material you either extract it immediately or freeze it until extraction.

Live cannabis extracts capture the chemical profile of the live plant before they oxidize or degrade. They have a ton of terpenes and smell and taste amazing (relax, I got a card...) compared to the dried plant material versions.

I want “live” hop extracts in my beers by next 4/20.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Since it’s 4/20...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:32:07 am »
AFAIK, there is no talk of that at YCH.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:46:26 am »
Could you put a bug in their ear if you get the chance.

Logistically it’s probably cheaper than going through the drying process.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:26:56 pm »

I'm not sure of that.  Hops need to be dried quickly.  I'm told that they will start to compost within one hour of picking if they're not dried.  For YCH, or anyone else, to undertake the project you describe, there would have to be a market, or the expectation of one.  I assume that becasue they don't do this already, they don't see a market.  But I'll ask if they've ever thought about it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 12:31:56 pm »

I'm not sure of that.  Hops need to be dried quickly.  I'm told that they will start to compost within one hour of picking if they're not dried.  For YCH, or anyone else, to undertake the project you describe, there would have to be a market, or the expectation of one.  I assume that becasue they don't do this already, they don't see a market.  But I'll ask if they've ever thought about it.
That’s why you freeze them immediately if you can’t process immediately. Loss to mold or rot is virtually eliminated.

Here’s a bit of info on the process.
https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-live-resin-cannabis-concentrate

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:47:01 pm »
That’s why you freeze them immediately if you can’t process immediately. Loss to mold or rot is virtually eliminated.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-live-resin-cannabis-concentrate

I'm guessing you don't know a lot about commercial hop production.  Freezing them until use is completely impractical.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 12:49:12 pm »
What is the "field-distilled hop oil" in SN Hop Hunter?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:06 pm »

I'm guessing you don't know a lot about commercial hop production.  Freezing them until use is completely impractical.
I’m guessing you’re not good at guessing.

You would only freeze what you plan on turning into the extract.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
Since it’s 4/20...
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 01:14:57 pm »
Could be it.
Are all of the distillates “field-distilled?”

I’d personally rather see a live CO2 extract over the distillate. Would be a much more versatile product.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:28:41 pm by hackrsackr »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 01:52:33 pm »
Could be it.
Are all of the distillates “field-distilled?”

I’d personally rather see a live CO2 extract over the distillate. Would be a much more versatile product.
Checked SN site.   It's basically just regular steam distillation but done right at the farm on wet hops as they are picked. Sorry.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 02:03:30 pm »
It’ll be around soon. I can’t believe it isn’t yet.

Sierra Nevada is probably already working on it for this years hop harvest.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 03:39:23 pm »

I'm guessing you've been doing a good job of celebrating 4/20. 

Denny is right about the impracticality of freezing hops at the commercial scale.  The industry isn't set up for that - at least not at this point in time.  Hops are a crop with a very brief harvest season, and many of the farms share harvesting and processing equipment through cooperatives.  It's not like we're talking about a few chest freezers here.  Large commercial-scale flash freezers would probably be needed.  There probably isn't a reasonable return on investment for that - at least not yet.   
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 04:01:13 pm »
I was wondering if anyone knows if any hop extract producers are looking at producing any “live” extracts. Live meaning that it extracted from fresh or fresh frozen plant material. Instead of drying the plant material you either extract it immediately or freeze it until extraction.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but morebeer carries distilled hop oil.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/distilled-hop-oil-chinook-1-ml.html

"Distilled hop oil is an amazing new product we are making available to homebrewers.  Distilled hop oil varies from other oils in that it is produced from fresh hops, as opposed to dried and processed pellets.  Distilled hop oil delivers the same wet hop character that was previously only possible to acquire with the use of freshly harvested hops." (emphasis added)
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »

I'm guessing you've been doing a good job of celebrating 4/20. 

Denny is right about the impracticality of freezing hops at the commercial scale.  The industry isn't set up for that - at least not at this point in time.  Hops are a crop with a very brief harvest season, and many of the farms share harvesting and processing equipment through cooperatives.  It's not like we're talking about a few chest freezers here.  Large commercial-scale flash freezers would probably be needed.  There probably isn't a reasonable return on investment for that - at least not yet.   
Once again you only freeze what becomes concentrates. You could start with a couple hundred pounds capacity for a small trial basis, before you scale up if it works well.

It’s being done all day every day right now with a genetic relative of the hop plant. They make industrial flash freezers... people said the same thing about supercritical CO2 extractors before the entire industry adopted them. The economics are there, if the product is superior! A third party could even contract wet hops at a discount and do the extraction as their value added piece. Get contracts from all the regions and do it all year round. Markets evolve, guys.

If brewers can get flavor and aroma (assuming it’s the desirable) out of an extract along with bitterness and all of the benefits of the current concentrates, then they won’t be able to keep it in stock. 

Glad they timestamp these posts.

Oh, and I have a medical condition, bro... it’s not a celebration, but thanks anyway.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 04:22:29 pm »

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but morebeer carries distilled hop oil.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/distilled-hop-oil-chinook-1-ml.html

"Distilled hop oil is an amazing new product we are making available to homebrewers.  Distilled hop oil varies from other oils in that it is produced from fresh hops, as opposed to dried and processed pellets.  Distilled hop oil delivers the same wet hop character that was previously only possible to acquire with the use of freshly harvested hops." (emphasis added)
Yeah that stuff is basically the same. I’m just hoping to see a CO2 extract (like a hop shot) as opposed to the oil. The oil isn’t as stable or easy to work with as the waxy stuff, plus there has to be some volatilization and conversion from the heat of the steam.