Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two-hole stopper for a 3 gallon carboy  (Read 1197 times)

Offline ocfbrewer

• 1st Kit
Two-hole stopper for a 3 gallon carboy
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:06:32 am »
Hello everyone!

I am new to home brewing and I am getting ready to brew my second batch. I have an InkBird temperature controller with a temperature probe. I also have a 3 gallon glass carboy for fermentation. My question is: Is there a particular 2-holed stopper that you all recommend which fits my Carboy and accommodates a temperature probe with an airlock? If so, where can I find one? Thanks!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
Re: Two-hole stopper for a 3 gallon carboy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:13:01 am »
I try to minimize the number of things that touch my wort. Less things = less chance of infection. Just tape the probe to the side of the carboy. Some folks cover the probe with a piece of foam. I just hang the probe in the ferment chamber.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline ocfbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:26:26 am »
Thanks, MNWayne! So if I hear you correctly, controlling the ambient temperature is good enough? I guess I don't need to be that precise on the actual wort temp?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:47 am »
Thanks, MNWayne! So if I hear you correctly, controlling the ambient temperature is good enough? I guess I don't need to be that precise on the actual wort temp?

No, the wort temp is what matters.  But if you attach the probe to the outside of your fermenter, you get a very accurate representation of wort temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:34 pm »
@ocfbrewer: Get a Thermowell stopper. You don't want to just plunge your temp probe into liquid. The Thermowell has a stainless steel tube into which you can insert the probe. Your homebrew store, online store or Amazon.com should have them.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 01:55:42 pm »
My question is: Is there a particular 2-holed stopper that you all recommend which fits my Carboy and accommodates a temperature probe with an airlock?

https://www.northernbrewer.com/stopper-thermowell-2250

You might want to check and see if the Inkbird temp probe is the same diameter as the Johnson and Thermostar controllers.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC