Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help! Stubborn brewer ruined beer with sea salt  (Read 3050 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Help! Stubborn brewer ruined beer with sea salt
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 02:54:18 pm »
Don't worry.  Joe Q. Public LOVES beer that's way too effing salty and tastes like seawater.  58,000 people can't be wrong...... Or can they!?

LOL! I Hate that style but brew it every year anyway. The kids love it. I just cringe and watch them pay for it.

absolutely hilarious!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 03:15:17 pm »
Tastes like a completely different beer today and the salt is barely detectable. I think it is going to be fine. Impatient as usual. Ha!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 03:33:06 pm »
Don't worry.  Joe Q. Public LOVES beer that's way too effing salty and tastes like seawater.  58,000 people can't be wrong...... Or can they!?

The dog in the pic on the left looks nervous.  Like he's worried you might make him taste it.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

narvin

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:46 am »
Tastes like a completely different beer today and the salt is barely detectable. I think it is going to be fine. Impatient as usual. Ha!

Was this with or without the potato?

I wonder if some undissolved salt had collected at the bottom and was getting pulled into the first few pints in large amounts?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 09:41:52 am »

Interesting, I had a similar experience with a salted caramel stout once. Tasted too salty at first then a couple days later I wasn't even sure I could taste the salt.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 11:39:38 am »

Was this with or without the potato?

I wonder if some undissolved salt had collected at the bottom and was getting pulled into the first few pints in large amounts?

No potato.

I think it’s exactly what you said. I was taking about 2-3 oz samples every day. I shook the keg then took a sample immediately not realizing that the beer in the line wasn’t mixed with the rest of the keg so it was still very salty. Now it tastes great and there is just a very subtle hint. I’m glad my calculation from test dosing beers wasn’t wrong. It didn’t make sense.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale