Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to account for Camden tablet in Bru’n water  (Read 5050 times)

Big Monk

Re: How to account for Camden tablet in Bru’n water
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 06:53:17 pm »
Thx folks. I have looked at the LODO spreadsheet and did find it confusing. Still not sure I am tracking but I appreciate the replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is definitely confusing.

On the far right, answer the Pre-Boil? question first. I leave the rest of that column unchanged.

In the middle, there are two NaMeta columns. Copy the value in the left g/gal cell into the right g/gal cell. (I don’t know what you have to do that manually.) Then fill in the strike volume cell.

Still in the middle column: the cells labeled g have the amount of SMB (aka. NaMeta) in grams to add to your strike water.

The SO4 Added cell has the ppm of SO4 you are adding to the strike water by adding that amount of SMB.

The Na Added has the ppm of Na you are adding to the strike water by adding that amount of SMB.

If you are doing no-sparge, you are done. If you are sparging, then enter your sparge volume in the Strike Volume cell to get the amount in grams of SMB needed in the sparge water.

Add the ppm values from the SO4 Added and Na Added cells to the Brunwater water report page.

What version of the spreadsheet are you using?
This one.

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DO-and-Mashing.xlsx

Yeah, I wouldn’t use that anymore. It hasn’t been updated in a long time and the current setup in our main sheet is much more intuitive:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Low-Oxygen-Brewing-Software-v.8.0.xlsx

It’s crazy you even still have the link! I deleted that sheet and the blog post on it a while ago.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
How to account for Camden tablet in Bru’n water
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 06:55:54 pm »
Thx folks. I have looked at the LODO spreadsheet and did find it confusing. Still not sure I am tracking but I appreciate the replies.

On the far right, answer the Pre-Boil? question first. I leave the rest of that column unchanged.

In the middle, there are two NaMeta columns. Copy the value in the left g/gal cell into the right g/gal cell. (I don’t know what you have to do that manually.) Then fill in the strike volume cell.

Still in the middle column: the cells labeled g have the amount of SMB (aka. NaMeta) in grams to add to your strike water.

The SO4 Added cell has the ppm of SO4 you are adding to the strike water by adding that amount of SMB.

The Na Added has the ppm of Na you are adding to the strike water by adding that amount of SMB.

If you are doing no-sparge, you are done. If you are sparging, then enter your sparge volume in the Strike Volume cell to get the amount in grams of SMB needed in the sparge water.

Add the ppm values from the SO4 Added and Na Added cells to the Brunwater water report page.

This one.

Yeah, I wouldn’t use that anymore. It hasn’t been updated in a long time and the current setup in our main sheet is much more intuitive:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Low-Oxygen-Brewing-Software-v.8.0.xlsx

It’s crazy you even still have the link! I deleted that sheet and the blog post on it a while ago.
Thanks.

Are there instructions somewhere? This new spreadsheet seems daunting.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 06:56:56 pm »

This one.

Are there instructions somewhere? This new spreadsheet seems daunting.

The “Field Manual” has quite a bit of info and there are built in comments on nearly every importent cell.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 06:58:24 pm »
Thx folks. Just tryin to get my head wrapped around this.

I used 8.5 gal total liquor this past weekend.

I appreciate your explanation.

Big Monk

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 07:01:35 pm »
Thx folks. Just tryin to get my head wrapped around this.

I used 8.5 gal total liquor this past weekend.

I appreciate your explanation.

Don’t forget pH drop (0.1 per 100 ppm Metabisulfite):

20.4 ppm Sodium Metabisulfite = (20.4/100) * 0.1 = -0.02

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 06:07:33 am »
Good copy. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 05:16:26 pm »
One more question on sodium vs potassium metabisulfate. I know how to account for sodium but not potassium in the water profile.  Will potassium leave an off flavor?  Though I’ve not tried it I’ve read it’s salty. Should I just use the value of potassium to replace sodium?

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 10:02:47 am »
One more question on sodium vs potassium metabisulfate. I know how to account for sodium but not potassium in the water profile.  Will potassium leave an off flavor?  Though I’ve not tried it I’ve read it’s salty. Should I just use the value of potassium to replace sodium?

At the dosages you'll be using, you'll be around ~7-10.5 ppm K, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 03:55:43 pm »
Thx. I didn’t taste anything off in the wort.

Big Monk

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 04:32:30 pm »
Thx. I didn’t taste anything off in the wort.

I’ve used Antioxin SBT doses with 40 ppm equivalent of KMeta at 15 ppm K with zero flavor issues.