Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dried cranberries with added sugar  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Dried cranberries with added sugar
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:38:44 am »
I'm planning of adding 3 ozs. of dried cranberries containing 15 grams of unspecified sugars to 4.5 gallons of a black saison.

How many days should I wait before adding the cranberries to the fermenting wort?

Also, since the amount of additional sugars is a bit more than 1/2 ounce, how long should I expect it to take before the brew reaches final gravity?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dried cranberries with added sugar
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 11:27:35 am »
Are there any preservatives in the cranberries? That's something I'd want to know before I decide to use them.

I usually add my fruit after the krausen falls. For 1/2 oz of sugar, I doubt it will take more than a couple of days to ferment out.

Cranberry is a great addition to saison, by the way. If the dried ones turn out anywhere near as good as fresh, then I think you will be pleased with the results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:31:28 am »
Also be warned that dried cranberries occasionally contain some sort of oil.  I put a few pounds in a barrel before double checking the ingredients for oil.  It left an oil slick on top and then staled and we had to dump it. 

Learn from my mistakes
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:51:10 am »
I've never seen dried cranberries without oils, and sugar is there because unsweetened they're inedibly bitter.  Why not just get frozen cranberries if they're out of season? You could control the sugar you add (if any,) and boil and chill a sort of cranberry sauce to ensure it's sanitized. Just beware that, as in making your Thanksgiving sauce, pectin comes into play.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 02:51:58 pm »
Also be warned that dried cranberries occasionally contain some sort of oil.  I put a few pounds in a barrel before double checking the ingredients for oil.  It left an oil slick on top and then staled and we had to dump it. 

Learn from my mistakes

This ^^^^^^

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 06:50:30 am »
Thanks for the warning.  I'll try to find frozen with no additives.  If I can't find them at a reasonable price I may try some other fruit. 

Any other suggestions?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:48:42 am »
Thanks for the warning.  I'll try to find frozen with no additives.  If I can't find them at a reasonable price I may try some other fruit. 

Any other suggestions?
I usually use saison as my base when brewing fruit beers, and I find it plays well with most fruits I've tried. Red or black currants work well, and I would think that raspberries and blackberries would be nice as well. Hibiscus is amazing in a saison, but I don't know how well it would work in a dark saison.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:27 am »
If I can't find frozen cranberries, I do have some black current extract I've used before with good results.  Since I'm bottling, I may bottle some as is , and then add extract to the rest.

Thanks for your advice.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:56:41 am »
I've never seen dried cranberries without oils, and sugar is there because unsweetened they're inedibly bitter.  Why not just get frozen cranberries if they're out of season? You could control the sugar you add (if any,) and boil and chill a sort of cranberry sauce to ensure it's sanitized. Just beware that, as in making your Thanksgiving sauce, pectin comes into play.

You mentioned pectin.  Is that a problem;  if so, what do I do about it?  And will I need to add a small amount of water to boil the cranberries?

Thanks is advance for your help.

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:22:02 pm »
When you cook cranberries (and other fruit) you activate pectin, which gels it into jam or sauce, good if you're making jam or sauce; but it will throw a permanent starch haze in beer.  It's only a problem if you're trying to make a clear beer, but I guess "black saison" suggests you're not worried about this.  I understand pectinase enzyme is available if clarity is an issue.

When I make cranberry sauce, I cover with enough water so they just start to float, and you want to simmer until they all burst their tough skins to expose the inside of the fruit.  Cook a little longer and they'll get clear and syrupy.    (With fresh berries it almost sounds like popcorn!) If you add sugar, it can go in with the berries and water and dissolve as you cook.  (Frozen berries may already have burst, depending on how they were processed.  I'm not as used to them.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:04:49 am »
I've got the cranberries boiled and I'm letting them cool to about room temp before adding them to the fermenter.

Do I need to put them in a sanitized grain bag, or just add them as is?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline fatherabbott

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 07:24:26 pm »
I've got the cranberries boiled and I'm letting them cool to about room temp before adding them to the fermenter.

Do I need to put them in a sanitized grain bag, or just add them as is?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I use a grain bag as they can get quite messy. Saves from the need to filter as the skins may float.