Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 refill in miami  (Read 3108 times)

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
CO2 refill in miami
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:16:06 am »
First time kegger here, and I got a refill of my new tank at a small local welding shop close by where I live (super convenient and cheap, the place is called Discount Welds).
However I read recently about the different type of CO2 available and was thinking maybe what I got isn’t the right type.
Shall I worry about it?
Any place where I could get beverage grade CO2 around downtown miami/Allapattah area?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: CO2 refill in miami
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:22:22 am »
There has been lengthy debate here about whether it matters or not. If you have an Airgas local they seem to have the super pure CO2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:35:25 am »
I agree with BrewBama.  As a welder, I use oxygen, nitrogen and argon nearly every day.  Therefore, the cleanliness of these gasses is crucial to my work and Airgas has consistently delivered top quality clean gasses for many years.  You should be able to get a specification sheet from your supplier.  If not, than perhaps your local supplier is “Discount” for a reason.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:43:46 am »
Thanks to both of you for your insight, I really appreciate it.
I just called air gas and they told me it would be 115$ to get a full 5lbs tank of food grade CO2 and then 20$ per swap. No refill.

I also found a company more far away called vs carbonics www.vscarbonics.com and they do 15$ refill, and to get a full 5lbs tank from them is 65$ (food grade as well apparently).

Finally the local welding shop in my hood charged me last week 6$ for a refill but I got no info on the grade of CO2 which concerns me a bit.

Huge price difference overall so not sure what to think.
Opinions?
Thanks again!

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:06 am »
For comparison, my LHBS does refills (or swaps) of beverage grade (from the supplier used by local bars, breweries and taps) for $16-$17.  So the $6 looks a bit suspicious.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:01:44 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:27:44 am »
Ok, just got an email from my local welding and he says all the small CO2 tanks are filled with food grade CO2.
Sounds good but he may be telling me what I want to hear.
VS carbonics confirmed to me that a full 5lb CO2 tank (alloy) cost 65$ and then 15$ for a refill. Sounds pretty good compared to Airgas no? Trying to figure if they are as reliable.
Thanks again!

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:07:10 am »
I don't worry about it. Haven't died yet.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:27 am »
"Food grade" just means it won't contain residues of petroleum lubricants or other toxic substances.   Beyond that, the various grades are a matter of purity, i.e. how much air is mixed in, and that's where the debate around here begins.  Admittedly, even a tiny fraction of a percent O2 is many times the ppm total O2 ideally in beer to avoid oxidative staling,  and if you've been exceptionally careful about avoiding O2 exposure up to the point of kegging, then this will be something you want to be aware of. If you force carbonate, you will add even more of this "contaminant" O2.  However, if this is not a priority concern for you, then food or beverage grade is perfectly safe. It's your beer, your money, your choice.

(I put the purity of my beverage grade CO2 in the category of "stuff to be aware of but that I can't do anything about."  If I'm worried about total O2 I'll address it at other points in my process.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:06:49 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 12:40:28 pm »
Thanks Robert,
I guess I’m more concerned about things that may be harmful in terms of health than harmful for the beer, although if best can be avoided is the ideal situation.