Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil  (Read 2618 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:32:40 pm »
Anybody using one of these?  Any tips or comments?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Brewer's Edge Mash and Boil
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »

I’ve done three brews on mine. I use it for 3 gallon biab. The mash temperature has a fairly large temperature swing. It reads the temperature from the bottom near the element. The range is 6 degrees ( +/- 3 ) from where you set your mash temperature. Most people stir every 20 minutes or so of the mash to  equalize the temperature.

It’s a great platform for diy self mods. Many have turned the unit into a Grainfather with  pumps and added sparging.

I’ve never done a 5 gallon batch. I really like it for 3 gallon biab. Easy cleanup.

There’s a automatic timer to start heating your mash.

Check out Mash and Boil group on Facebook. There is a lot of info there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »

I’ve done three brews on mine. I use it for 3 gallon biab. The mash temperature has a fairly large temperature swing. It reads the temperature from the bottom near the element. The range is 6 degrees ( +/- 3 ) from where you set your mash temperature. Most people stir every 20 minutes or so of the mash to  equalize the temperature.

It’s a great platform for diy self mods. Many have turned the unit into a Grainfather with  pumps and added sparging.

I’ve never done a 5 gallon batch. I really like it for 3 gallon biab. Easy cleanup.

Thanks!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »

Thanks!

The Facebook group’s name is: “ Brewer’s Edge Mash and Boil Users Group”

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:18:32 pm »
It must be fairly popular. Robobrew is now pushing their unit sans pump and chiller to compete.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:07:48 am »
I have one and like it quite a bit. I have found that when pushing the limits of gravity on it (for a 5 gallon batch), the mash can get stuck because of the amount of grain in the pipe vs water. I recommend a brew bag to help with this, since it will channel all around during runoff, not just the bottom of the pipe.

I have also done a few batches that were bigger beers. I used the M+B to heat my mash water and actually mashed in a cooler for space, then returned the runoff to the M+B for boil (no sparge). It has its limitations on batch size and gravity, but it is a well made and handy little unit. If you are making 3-4 gallon batches it is a REALLY handy solution for space and equipment saving.