Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NE/E Iowa  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
NE/E Iowa
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:02:49 pm »
Hey,

I'm visiting my brother in law for his graduation in a few weeks, heading through NE Iowa to SW Minnesota. Trying to plan a visit where I can drive up Thursday, grab dinner at a brewery, camp before heading up to MN for the weekend. I'm looking at a few places, Toppling Goliath, Single Speed, but am open to other thoughts. I'd prefer a place with food. General region is Waterloo, Ceder Rapids, Iowa City.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
Re: NE/E Iowa
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:56:28 pm »
Both Toppling Goliath and Singlespeed are excellent. There is also Second State (Cedar Falls) is also good. Lark Brewing (Waterloo) has very good beer but no food. Uncle Harry's Five and Dime Tavern is not a brewery. But, it has an excellent selection of commercial beers.
Hope this helps.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:31:30 am »
Lions Bridge in Cedar Rapids.  Big Grove in Iowa City (really good food)  I've actually not been to the Iowa City location, but I'm sure it's just as good as Solon.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:58 am »
You definitely need to stop in Decorah - great place to camp as well.  Lots of really good restaurants and nice town.  In addition to Toppling Goliath, make sure you stop at Pulpit Rock in Decorah(no food, but you can order in) - they generally have some great stuff on tap there.

Also, not sure where you are going in SW minnesota - but Forager in Rochester MN is a must if you are going to be in that area.

New Brewery in Calmar - Pivo -  (just south of Decorah) that has an eclectic mix of beers. 

+1 on Lions Bridge and Big Grove

I live in the Decorah area, so can answer any questions you might have in that regard.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 01:03:02 pm »
Yeah, I'm excited about Toppling Goliath, but they close at 8 on Thursdays. It's about a 4 hour drive from where I'm at and I probably can't leave until ~3:30 at the earliest. I'm headed to Marshall MN, so on the wrong side of the state from Rochester. If I head through Decorah that should take me through there though.

Offline Brewmeisters

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:13:54 pm »
Backpocket  in Coralville.
Kalona Brewing Company in Kalona
Millstream in Amana.
When you brew, brew with a happy heart.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:19:54 pm »
Yeah, I'm excited about Toppling Goliath, but they close at 8 on Thursdays. It's about a 4 hour drive from where I'm at and I probably can't leave until ~3:30 at the earliest. I'm headed to Marshall MN, so on the wrong side of the state from Rochester. If I head through Decorah that should take me through there though.

It is also on tap in locations in Decorah - Rubaiyat restaurant always has several of theirs on tap(and many others).  Very good food there ( a bit pricey though).  T-bocks will have some of TG on tap as well - traditional bar food.   Like I said - Pulpit Rock is definitely worth it all by itself.