Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Off Flavor Troubleshooting  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Off Flavor Troubleshooting
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 03:54:39 pm »
When you clean it, use a soft rag rather than a brush.  I soak my BBs but there is still sometimes crud that won't come loose.  I push a rag into the neck and swirl it with some cleanser.  If that doesn't work, I cover a bottle brush with an old sock and use that.  This cleans it up well with no scratching.

I have on bottle that didn't get this treatment and has some small scratches on the inside, but good sanitation and good cleaning allows that one to stay in the rotation.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 04:23:54 pm »
One great thing I've found with the Speidel is it cleans easier than my old glass.  A few minutes of PBW soaking and the ring of brown crud is gone, where it could take 30 min or even longer on glass, and sometimes needed brushing. The plastic seems to have a non-stick quality to it. My goal is never to scrub, just occasionally disassemble the port for extra attention.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 08:20:50 pm »
I agree on the long term use of the containers (cleaned with care, they should last nearly forever - my Speidels are approaching 10 years in service), but tubing gets replaced periodically, as I said.  It’s cheap insurance.  Just how I roll...cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"