Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone Else's 1st Year Hops Not Up to Snuff  (Read 12672 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Anyone Else's 1st Year Hops Not Up to Snuff
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
I planted 2 cascade and 2 centennial in a nice sunny spot, mounded hill to allow for runoff, water everyday sometime twice.  The height they have grown range from about 6 feet down to 3 feet ( funny because it goes left to right in height it kind of looks like those cellphone commercial with the bars ).

I actually have a few flowers on them but they never did climb to total length of the rope ( approx 13 feet ).  I've been trimming away the other bines that I didn't train up the trellis and there doesn't seem to be any damage from insects or disease.

We have had an unusually dry summer this year ( as my lawn is evidence of that ), but I've been watering everyday and fertilize on a regular schedule.

Is this somewhat normal, and should I see better results next year?  I know a lot of the first year growth is root structure, but I've seen a lot of postings on other forums where people said their 1st years hops grew 12+ feet.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone Else's 1st Year Hops Not Up to Snuff
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:51:23 am »
Pretty normal for first year hops.  My first year, my Cascade plant yielded exactly 2 hop cones.  Last year, 10 years later, the same plant gave me 27 lb. before drying!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:58:43 am »
The first year they are putting the energy into the root system.  Your list of things done are all good.  As Denny said, next year and after you will get plenty.

You did not say much aobut your soil, but they like nitrogen a lot, especially when the cones are on.  My soil is a beach sand gravel type, and I need to add some potassium and phosphorus too.  Sierra Nevada says that 3-1-1 fertilizer is what they use.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:04:31 am »
I actually have about 30 cones...I know, not much but exciting still.  I will look forward to next year and will do better at soil maintenance.

Thanks guys.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »
I think it was probably a mistake to trim the bines you hadn't trained - I usually let mine go wild the first year to maximize the health of the rhizome.  If you cut off the new bines then the rhizome is wasting energy sending them up and not getting any return.  After the first year when you are trying to maximize output that's different.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:28:45 pm »
I think it was probably a mistake to trim the bines you hadn't trained - I usually let mine go wild the first year to maximize the health of the rhizome.  If you cut off the new bines then the rhizome is wasting energy sending them up and not getting any return.  After the first year when you are trying to maximize output that's different.

oops.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:33:03 pm »
I'm sure they'll be fine, it's really not that big of a deal.  Nothing catastrophic.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:03:07 pm »
My first year hops are all 6-8 feet. I'm not expecting much this year. I also discovered that Japanese Beetles have an affinity for Goldings, but haven't touched anything else. So I'll keep the Goldings going every year just as a sacrifice to the beer gods so my others are left alone.
Mark Gres

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »

oops.

I don't think it was an issue trimming the additional bines you did not train.  One question, how many bines did you train?  The number of bines you train will increase the required nutrients/energy.  Last year, (first year) I trained two bines per plant and they grew approximately 13 feet.  I only had about 1 ounce (dry weight) of useable hops that year but this year they are already much taller.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »
I don't think it was an issue trimming the additional bines you did not train.  One question, how many bines did you train?  The number of bines you train will increase the required nutrients/energy.  Last year, (first year) I trained two bines per plant and they grew approximately 13 feet.  I only had about 1 ounce (dry weight) of useable hops that year but this year they are already much taller.

I'm not saying trimming the additional bines stunted the growth of those that were trained, in fact it probably helped them because they get all of the nutrients from the rhizome.  The output you get depends on the strength of the rhizome, and since you shouldn't expect to get any usable cones your first year you might as well get the root system as strong as possible.  So leaving all of the bines will help the rhizome be really strong and help your bines grow taller next year. 
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »
I got what you were saying Tom, and it makes total sense now ( of course I just trimmed some stuff this morning ).

I ran 2 bines up each string.  I definately wait for them to die off so all the nutrients and energy return to the root...and no more trimming.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:22:03 pm by theDarkSide »
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline marty

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:44 pm »
I actually have about 30 cones...I know, not much but exciting still.  I will look forward to next year and will do better at soil maintenance.

Thanks guys.

that is more than I got in my 2nd year

1st year - nothing, 2nd a handful of cones

This is the 3rd year and they've gone nuts. Kind of what I expected based on some of the info during the crisis

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »
I've got first year hops in too, and mine are about the same in terms of growth. I most likely live in a different part of the world, and am growing all British hops (can't get US hops out at the right time of year), and things are generally a touch behind the US as it's cooler here during the summer.

But then, I wasn't expecting much from the first year.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline jwatkins56550

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »
I'm not sure if I have my hops in a big enough pot.  Could this by why my yield seems a little more than some?  Maybe it is running out of root room, and is concentrating on cone production?  Any thoughts?

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 10:26:00 pm »
I've had pretty good luck with my 2 first year plants.  They're both in pots, but I used my home-made compost for half of the soil.  The Columbus grew fast, and there are about 60 hop cones.  The Chinook took it's time, and is just starting to yield some cones. 
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection