Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Candi Syrup D-240  (Read 5369 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
Candi Syrup D-240
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:31:03 pm »
This syrup really got my attention for a future tropical stout i am planning to brew, anyone have experience using this syrup?, how strong is it?.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Candi Syrup D-240
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:42:40 pm »
Yeah, I got a 50 lb. jug so I've used it quite a bit.  Lots of coffee/chocolate flavor to it, as opposed to the D180 which is more fruity.  When you say "how string is it", what do mean?  Flavor?  It's a very strong flavor.  Even has a tiny bit of a burnt quality to it, which works well in some styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:54:47 pm »
When you say "how string is it", what do mean?  Flavor?  It's a very strong flavor.  Even has a tiny bit of a burnt quality to it, which works well in some styles.

Hello Denny, exactly i meant strong flavor. do you think adding 1lb could overpower the flavor of the beer?.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 08:24:07 am »
When you say "how string is it", what do mean?  Flavor?  It's a very strong flavor.  Even has a tiny bit of a burnt quality to it, which works well in some styles.

Hello Denny, exactly i meant strong flavor. do you think adding 1lb could overpower the flavor of the beer?.

I use a lb. in a BDSA.  I wouldn't say it overpowers the flavor, but it defines it.  I guess you'd have to tell me what kind of flavors you're going for in order for me to know how to answer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 05:29:51 pm »

I use a lb. in a BDSA.  I wouldn't say it overpowers the flavor, but it defines it.  I guess you'd have to tell me what kind of flavors you're going for in order for me to know how to answer.

Sure, my plan is brewing a Tropical Stout and i am looking for the molasses, licorice, dark fruit, or dried fruit flavor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:00:40 am »

Sure, my plan is brewing a Tropical Stout and i am looking for the molasses, licorice, dark fruit, or dried fruit flavor.

You won't get much fruit from the 240.  More coffee and and chocolate.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Candi Syrup D-240
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
Interesting you've found no fruit. The website says "D-240 Candi Syrup is the richest and darkest candi syrup available on the market. Created to have a rich smooth palate, D-240 is a triple-dark syrup with hints of dark raisin, extra dark stone fruit and a roasted dark caramel back-palate. For ales that require full body and indescribable flavor that will set your ales apart."  I can see where their description of 'roasted dark caramel' could be considered coffee and chocolate.

http://www.candisyrup.com/products.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:47:11 pm by BrewBama »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:38:19 am »
Interesting you've found no fruit. The website says "D-240 Candi Syrup is the richest and darkest candi syrup available on the market. Created to have a rich smooth palate, D-240 is a triple-dark syrup with hints of dark raisin, extra dark stone fruit and a roasted dark caramel back-palate. For ales that require full body and indescribable flavor that will set your ales apart."  I can see where their description of 'roasted dark caramel' could be considered coffee and chocolate.

http://www.candisyrup.com/products.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I wouldn't say no fruit at all, but not like the lighter ones.  I think dark raisin pretty much hits it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline John

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:45:29 pm »
Denny,

I know this thread is old but I am brewing a Belgian Dark Strong tomorrow.  I was planning on using 2# of D-240 with a simple grain bill of Pilsen and Munich malt in order to let the flavor of the D-240 do most of the work.  Do you think 8.3% of my fermentables is too high for the D-240?  I have read others using like 8 oz for a 5 gallon batch. By batch will be 6 gallons with 16# pilsen and 6# light munich malt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 10:05:35 am »
Denny,

I know this thread is old but I am brewing a Belgian Dark Strong tomorrow.  I was planning on using 2# of D-240 with a simple grain bill of Pilsen and Munich malt in order to let the flavor of the D-240 do most of the work.  Do you think 8.3% of my fermentables is too high for the D-240?  I have read others using like 8 oz for a 5 gallon batch. By batch will be 6 gallons with 16# pilsen and 6# light munich malt.

I don't think it will be too much, but you'll be at what I consider the top end.  The amount of Munich should balance it nicely.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 04:49:53 pm »

You can make a tropical stout with chocolate malts and lactose. I have a recipe that used chocolate c-75 and black malt.

I always think Belgian style when it comes to candy sugar. You might not get the tropical qualities you’re looking for from d-240. I never used it though for a tropical stout. Just lighter versions in other beers.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:36:38 pm »
Just for the heads up, brewed this beer with D-90 and S-189 lager yeast and was one of my best stout i ever brewed, thanks for the suggestions of D-240.