Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 65 - Travels with Paula  (Read 687 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 65 - Travels with Paula
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:37:19 am »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-65-travels-paula

We're still in New Zealand, but this time we're joined by Denny's better half as she walks us through her experience exploring the beers of New Zealand. What stories did she discover about the breweries (and her thought about their IPAs)? And then Denny hits the fields to discover how hop research is carried out in New Zealand! IN the pub, it's all the news fit to drink to, including Denny's anniversary and ABI's impact on homebrewing. In the library we cover some great recipes from Jester King before talking about a new IPA style and why people are confusing it for something Belgian, a little science tease and of course a quick tip and Denny's new cooking obsession.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 65 - Travels with Paula
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 02:27:55 pm »
My thoughts on ABI:

• It's a really longterm effort to rebuild their brand, starting with homebrewers. It will be more effective as they expand overseas, where ABI will be the one to really build their brand and business by supporting homebreweries/small craft.
  • This could also be a result of how our economy is set up. I think they talk about this on Freakonomics, but we base everything on growth. It's not enough to maintain, you have to DO something. I think a lot of shareholders, CEO's, etc. penalize you more for doing nothing than making a move, even if that move doesn't accomplish your goals.

On Hazy IPA: Thank you Denny for countering Drew. I feel like people only complain about these things with IPAs and not other styles.

NZ: I wish more places offered 0.25 L pours. One the things France gets right on beer.