Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is highest number of generations you have gotten out of a yeast strain?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
I’m going to see how many generations I can take WY 1056 and WY 2124 before I notice any difference. Currently I’m at the third generation for both. Just wondering how many generations some of you have taken a yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
WY 2124 I have lost count after 15 generations.  I really only buy a new pitch when I have a hiatus, or for no good reason at all but I figure it must be time.  It'll go a looooong time. Let me know how it goes!  FWIW 3-5 gens is where I find 2124 (or anybody's version of 34/70) starts to act normal, having adapted from lab to brewing. I should also note I repitch pretty quick ( usually 2-4 days from harvest.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
WY 2124 I have lost count after 15 generations.  I really only buy a new pitch when I have a hiatus, or for no good reason at all but I figure it must be time.  It'll go a looooong time. Let me know how it goes!  FWIW 3-5 gens is where I find 2124 (or anybody's version of 34/70) starts to act normal, having adapted from lab to brewing. I should also note I repitch pretty quick ( usually 2-4 days from harvest.)
Interesting.  I've not been big on repitching, mainly because I can't seem to schedule regular brewing.  I'll have a strain in the fridge for 2 months and just decide to repurchase.  I think 3 gens is as far as I've gone. 
What differences are you noticing with the brewing vs. lab behavior?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

Interesting.  I've not been big on repitching, mainly because I can't seem to schedule regular brewing.  I'll have a strain in the fridge for 2 months and just decide to repurchase.  I think 3 gens is as far as I've gone. 
What differences are you noticing with the brewing vs. lab behavior?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Not anything big, but the first couple of generations can have a (slightly) longer lag, a (slightly) lower kräusen head, a half day or day longer to reach a given attenuation... mostly just related to vigor of fermentation, but (I think) the flavor also gets a bit cleaner and crisper but more complex after it gets going. The latter I suppose follows from the former.  Adaptation is, I realize, a much debated subject.  Could be actual adaptation to diet and environment,  could just be carryover of nutrients in trub, right?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ynotbrusum

I went out 25 generations on a clean Pilsner yeast, I think it was WLP 800.  That was over a period of nearly 2 years, I believe, with back to back brewing so it didn’t sit for long.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
I'm in my 2nd year of WLP838. However I overbuild rather than repitch.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Thanks for the info guys. The most I’ve gone is 5-6 generations and I once got a contamination with some stored yeast. It ruined two beers with bad phenolic flavor, so I’m always leery about that happening again.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:10:33 pm by dannyjed »
Dan Chisholm

Offline brewinhard

Thanks for the info guys. I most I’ve gone is 5-6 generations and I once got a contamination with some stored yeast. It ruined two beers with bad phenolic flavor, so I’m always leery about that happening again.

Always be sure to smell your yeast before using it.