Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jerrylo Hop Compatible?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Jerrylo Hop Compatible?
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:18:26 am »
So I’ve decided to combine the two 1 gallon IIPA kits I got and add a little grains I have on hand to make an IPA. The hops include Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Columbus, and Apollo (I’ll use for bittering). The guy also gave me an ounce of Azacca (I want to make a pale ale to showcase it as I hear people rave about it) and this Jarrylo, which gives a flavor discription as banana, orange, and spicy. Not so sure that would meld so well. It also doesn’t give a specific AA (states 15-17%).

I’ve considered using it as an aroma/dry hop addition as I’m uncertain of the AA’s and wonder if it would have less impact with the banana (being listed first I wonder if it’s more noticeable).

Would this go well?

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
Re: Jerrylo Hop Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:40 am »
You can use jarrylo hops for dry hopping if you want, just know what flavors you will get. There is a brewery here that uses them all the time for IPAs.
I’ve used them in a gose before.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:36:15 am »
Personally I wouldn't use Jarrylo with those hops. Jarrylo has a banana flavor more along the lines of the banana in Runts than actual bananas. Many people think it's a plastic-y flavor. While I don't mind it as a hop I do think it has a narrow realm where it is successful.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 12:16:32 pm »
That’s what I was looking for. Thanks!